Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volunteer needed!!!
Carey, Thank you for that great list of restaurants! I can't wait to try them all next time I'm on the B.I. [Big Grin]
Hike this weekend was rained out (and work call-out....but.... hopefully next weekend, Kiko does like her romps on Rd R!)
Hey Carey, I wanted to give you a heads up. I had someone else go out and take a few pics this past weekend. I have to say, I was totally un-prepared for what I saw. It was also reported that they did not feel safe getting out of their vehicle due to a few pit-bulls running loose from the neighbors across the street. The road off of the main road was very muddy and required a larger vehicle. The only photos I was able to get was not really of my property but the road to my property, neighbors, and the main road coming in.

So, anyways, I wouldn't recommend the mission now unless your a brave soul...

Thanks,
....."Just think about it & do the right thing"....
quote:
Originally posted by cajunman1973

... I have to say, I was totally un-prepared for what I saw. It was also reported that they did not feel safe getting out of their vehicle due to a few pit-bulls running loose from the neighbors across the street. The road off of the main road was very muddy and required a larger vehicle. The only photos I was able to get was not really of my property but the road to my property, neighbors, and the main road coming in....

Unfortunately, many people tried to warn you and give you advice about this "subdivision". I hope you can work something out.
Sorry to hear that Cajun, I never wish sufferation or bad things on anyone. Maybe if you hold onto it long enough things can change.
We have been to many of the houses there, more than once, as there are families there in need. The area has not changed much over a couple of decades that I know of. There are a couple of family compounds in the subdivision, and the areas adjacent to those may never change...
What do you mean by "family compounds" is sounds like a cult or something. Also, the loose dog situation, I was thinking, when I do come over to access my property, what should I do to combat the situation of fearing being attacked while trying to access my property. I read the statues of having a dog and the requirements to have it licensed but are the rules really enforced. Should I buy a gun for protection? Yea...this sounds like a 3rd world country I am talking about...isn't this sad that we've become this way....
....."Just think about it & do the right thing"....
3, 4 and even 5 generation extended families living on the same or adjoining land is really common here, there's nothing cultish about it,that's just the local culture. I know when I lived in the south it was pretty common there. When one of your kids got married or had a kid you just brought in another single wide.

A golf club is a great aggressive loose dog deterrent. So is a really big umbrella, if you pop it open right in a charging dog's face they tend to turn tail and run away, plus it creates a barrier between you and them. Shooting your new neighbors' dog is probably a really poor way to establish yourself in the neighborhood.

As far as the 3rd world aspect of your new neighborhood, it didn't "become this way." From talking to old timers, it has always been like that here. Puna is not a gentrified postcard version of paradise, it is a very thinly populated rural area with a lot of poverty, few services like police, fire and animal control, and probably a third of its people barely scraping by. The subdivision you bought in is one of the poorer ones, in part because the lots are so cheap; almost anyone can afford to pay $500 down and $150 a month to pay off a $5000 lot over time while they build an unpermitted shelter to live in.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Puna is not a gentrified postcard version of paradise, it is a very thinly populated rural area with a lot of poverty

...which some people seem to think they can gentrify.

Like the guy who started the whole SPACE complaint ... then moved back to the mainland.

There are different kinds of poverty, though; in some cases the community is stronger despite (or because of) being poor, so the cultural fit becomes more important...
"Should I buy a gun for protection?"

You'll want to take a look at the Hawaii gun laws first.