Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Termites
Killed about 10 termites flying around in the rental house today. Is this normal to see them sometimes, or should I be freaking out that the house is infested ?

7-8pm, I did have the lights on in the house and all windows etc open, but I am not sure how they could fit through a screen with those long wings ?

Mahalo !
It is normal around this time of year. Don't worry.

Donna
Donna
They can come through really tiny spaces around the edges of screens and doors. During the short period when they fly every year you can just put a shop light over a bucket with soapy water in it outside every evening during the short nightly swarm period and they will swarm that instead of your living room and then die.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
they come on fairly still nights, and between 7-8 is usually the termite fly time....and they love light...so keeping as many lights off & windows & doors screened help reduce the numbers of flying swarm...

Drywood termites are the ones you are seeing... many older neighborhoods & homes in forest areas with older r dead wood will see the swarms... your goal is to make sure those wingless wonders do not find any of your edible wood (this includes your books & any thing else of wood/wood fiber)

and trying to keep them outside is the best... the bucket & light may be the ticket...
By the way, has anyone had good results using a bug zapper around here? I have incredible bug invasion problems almost year round.
I have used a bug zapper light with good success inside my house.
quote:
Originally posted by Hunt Stoddard

By the way, has anyone had good results using a bug zapper around here? I have incredible bug invasion problems almost year round.

We just ordered a bug zapper from Amazon, and it should arrive next week. Will let folks know how well it works.

Wahine
Wahine

Lead by example
Simple candles works. Not just termites but loads of insects are kamikaze Smile. One of the advantages to living without electrickery. (Or at least reduced access Smile )

#10048;
#10048;
OK, thank you all ! Plenty Mahalo's !
Bug zapper and a sixpack.... Puna date night!