Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volunteer needed!!!
Loose dogs are very common here, most do not license dogs (heck, there are more than a few people that do no do any licensing of any type)
Feral dogs are also more than a little common, as are pit fighting with bait dogs, hunting dogs that are heel & ear dogs (more than a few of these are gored to death)

None of this is new to many of the posters that responded to your request for info on this area in May. You seemed fine with the responses then. Remember both Bananahead & I did post this info back in May when you inquired, I had mentioned then about the multiple house family units... these have not changed much over time, except what age & lack of upkeep do to structures. Both of us had experience with being in the subdivision more than a once in.... it really does seem that your recent update was much like the one Bananahead posted May 12:
- 05/12/2014 : 20:19:54
my opinion is similar to that of csgray... Ive only been in there about 5 times last year helping a friend move out of there... the property lots are small (the ones I saw), lots of mud and wetness, invasives overgrown with tall weeds was all I saw where he was... the spooky part was the road was very rough and steep in areas and washed out in front of this guys shack (many shacks built close to road), very tough roads at times even for my truck as it was raining hard or just rained hard those days.... sketchy neighbour had a couple loud ass dogs tied up at the road barking like crazy, made me feel uneasy since they didnt know me or my truck, especially the trip at night in the rain.... guys lot/shack was also flooded with standing water from road to front door, mucky

Added: I am not sure what you thought when I posted about why we have gone into that subdivision in the past....It is one of the highest need areas in the county... When many properties in a subdivision have people that need help just to get the basics, it is very unlikely that area will change much over time, unless there is a way of decreasing the need in the area. I do hope you are able to help many of your neighbors improve their lot, as many of them truly do need a lot of assistance!
Well as we all have now learned, you win some and loose some. Pros- If I don't have any other option, I always have a place I can call home, Cons- its not what most would call an Ideal place to call home.

The fact that I still have an opportunity to find a really nice piece of property on the big Island of Hawaii, Priceless

Would I really get a gun and shoot a dog, well I have only had one gun for the past 35 years, its a single shot shotgun, I have only used it twice, once to kill a squirrel, and once to kill a bird, well I basically shot at a group of black birds and I only hit one....So, anyways...I was wrong, you are right, soon I will be visiting the Island and will be looking at other properties to buy. Hopefully the second time will be a charm...
Hey, maybe I will become a neighbor to someone who took the time to reply.
Anyways, I will always keep an open mind and make the best of things, its just who I am.
If you would like to recommend some properties that are for sale, looking in the 10-20k range, let me know...Thanks..

....."Just think about it & do the right thing"....
Cajunman, as practical advice the only really effective way to deal with loose neighbor dogs is to fence your own property well enough that the dogs can't get onto your property. There is generally no reasoning with the people who think their dogs have the right to run loose and pets are an area where it is better to avoid arguments.

Buy large bags of cheap dog biscuits and start dispensing them. Train the local dogs to think of you as a treat dispenser and not a chew toy.

Keep smiling. Be pleasant. Plant fruit trees and share. Be careful to not set foot on neighbor's property unless you have been invited.They might not be your friends but you don;t want them to decide you are an enemy. If they are the moonshiner, you don't want them to get it into their heads that you are the revenuer.

As a generalization, I have no objection to taking a few photos for a new neighbor without a paypal contribution. after all, if the property is located on my way, the new owner is going to be my neighbor and a few photos isn't much to ask.

Photos of bare land are never going to show much. You'll get a picture of a few scruffy trees.
quote:
I was thinking, when I do come over to access my property, what should I do to combat the situation of fearing being attacked while trying to access my property.
Stay within a quick sprint of your vehicle?
I had neighbors with a loose mama Doberman next to my lot in Hilo. It's not only in that neighborhood.

My suggestion would be consider renting, and instead of throwing money into this land, relist it and hope for another buyer who doesn't visit it and wears rose colored glasses.

Then suggest you don't buy land here until you can up the budget to get decent property. Buying the cheapest land around is a recipe for buying yourself a host of issues. If there were not issues, it would cost more. After all, It's in Hawai'i, a very desirable part of the planet.
"Buying the cheapest land around is a recipe for buying yourself a host of issues."

Great point. There are still a lot of good bargains in Puna, however a good bargain doesn't mean the same as cheap land.

For sure there are bargains. To me, a bargain arises when a seller prioritizes selling quickly over waiting to get maximum or even average market value. Bargains happen in all price ranges and for a variety of reasons that have to do with the seller's situation and not the fair market value.

OTOH, land that is in a subdivision where all or most or the properties typically sell at the bottom of the market for the wider area, that is very likely not a bargain. That is most likely a dog, and you need to ask yourself if you want to wrap your life around coping with all the challenges it presents -- for the dubious privilege of becoming a property/dog owner.
Lots of great feedback and suggestions, thank you. Yes, my next plan of action is to visit and look around for something else..