Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yea another transplant
now that is an issue medical services are archaic, and difficult to get a family doctor, i hear that alot from new comers. and it is true that getting a family doctor is hard many will not take on new clients. often people have to be flown to oahu for services
Somehow, people fixate on the 2 year thing here... there are some communities (both here & mainland) where the average residency of ALL residents is around 2 years, and other areas (sometimes just the neighboring community) that have residencies in the decades to lifetime timeframe... it does depend on a lot of things. One thing I have never understood is that here it seems like, to some people, you have "failed" if you moved....
"Have you tried Amazon.com for the HP sauce, Heinz baked beans, and Branston pickles? They have those items available, but I'm not sure if they will ship them here."

Thank you so much! I had no idea Amazon sold food. It appears they have all those items and do ship them, so if Safeway doesn't restock I have a backup! There are also plenty of businesses that sell Brit food in the US, but the shipping costs are generally enormous and Amazon's seems much more reasonable. Thanks again!
When you get the box in the mail, think of it as a care package coming over the pond from "Mum"

Community begins with Aloha
Welcome!

Dayna

http://www.FarmingAloha.com
www.E-Z-Caps.com
Dayna Robertson
At Home Hawaii
Real Estate Sales and Property Management
RS-85517
Dayna.JustListedInHawaii.com
Dayna.Robertson@gmail.com
Well, we made it. Arrived in Kona Monday night, stayed there, then Tuesday drove around the south end of the island and up to Hilo. Stayed in a hotel up on the bay for two nights, found a house to rent in Pahoa, and have the next week in a vacation rental I'd already arranged.
I have to admit, I'm not having nearly as bad an issue dealing with the humidity as I anticipated. A few times, when there's NO air movement, it gets a bit stuffy, but most of the time, I feel just fine.
We're looking forward to checking out the local markets. Had dinner at the TexMex place last night. Really liking what we see so far. Even Hilo, folks had told us it's old, and hasn't kept up with the march of time... whereas Kona is up and coming and current.
We really like the 'older' feel of this side of the island. Feels a lot like home did a few decades ago.

Mahalo!!!

Welcome, sounds like you got a good start for your new adventure so far. Enjoy and let it all soak in.

Welcome! Try Lucy's in Hilo - it's a great place, and as a transplant from California - it's as good as it gets... anywhere! And the owner is great! I don't think the humidity is bad, unless the trades stop blowing, then your'e right, it can get very sticky (and your sheets will be damp in the evening - you have to get used to that!).

You may find that despite not thinking so, there is a great amount of diversity here on the Hilo/Puna side. There are lots of pairings and couplings that are going on. You should have no problem fitting in just fine. Enjoy your time, relish the differences of your new home and be sure to take time to just find a spot along the coast, sit, and listen to the waves crash. It really is like a dream to be able to live here!