Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Council candidate accused of voter fraud!
From today's Hawaii Tribune Herald...

Eight people gathered Wednesday at the State Building in Hilo to announce they will request the state Attorney General’s Office investigate alleged voting and tax irregularities by Tiffany Edwards Hunt, who is running for the County Council District 5 seat.

The group included Roxanne Lawson, former Democratic Party precinct chairwoman for District 4, District 5 council candidate RJ Hampton and her campaign manager, Sativa Sultan.

They allege Edwards Hunt committed voter fraud by using the address of her husband’s surf shop in Pahoa on her voter registration form in the 2010 and 2012 elections rather than her home in Hawaiian Acres. They also request the office look into a homeowner’s tax exemption Edwards Hunt received for a house in Hilo while she lived in Hawaiian Acres.

“We believe politicians are obligated to follow the same laws as their constituency,” Lawson said.

Meanwhile, County Clerk Stewart Maeda said he will forward voter fraud complaints against Edwards Hunt to the county Prosecuting Attorney’s Office.

see more at - http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/news/loc...oter-fraud
Fraud: the crime of using dishonest methods to take something valuable from another person

I think taking money from people for food sold without health permits would be considered more fraudulent than being registered at the wrong address. Tiffany gained nothing and no one lost anything from her error.

Plus, there's the whole Pot/Kettle thing.

The RJ/Sativa vendetta has reached a higher level of distaste; something I would have thought impossible.
Someone who commits voter fraud is stealing your vote. If you are for an opposing candidate it negates your vote, robbing you of your voice in the democratic process. IMHO much worse certainly than any petty theft and possibly any grand theft in the bigger scheme of things. It shows a total lack of respect for the democratic process and the rights of your fellow citizens. Of course I realize, that with many of the far left persuasion, the end justifies the means.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
How many times did Tiffany vote? There was no District 5 at the time, the numbers would have been the same no matter where she was registered in lower Puna. She didn't steal a vote. RJ's persistant attacks against Tiffany, Russell, and Graham, are all driven by envy. They are stealing energy from anyone who would attempt to bring about positive change.

Black's Law Dictionary definition of Fraud:
1. a knowing misrepresentation of the truth or concealment of a material fact to induce another to act to his or her detriment.
2. a misrepresentation without belief in it's truth to induce another to act.
3. a tort arising from a knowing misrepresentation, concealment of material fact, or reckless misrepresentation made to induce
another to act to his or her detriment.

Black's Law Dictionary definition of Voter:
1. a person who engages in the act of voting.
2. a person who has the qualification necessary for voting.

Before all you knowledgeable voters consider accusations being made on this blog you should at least KNOW
what is the truth of FRAUD.

Voter Fraud has NO legal context in RJ's and Sativa's accusations and complaint.

THEREFORE

my unlearned opinion is there will be no case and the accusations are hate motivated.

Next question: Why The Hate? Why not Aloha?

...the brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all...
The paper got the headline wrong. It is 'voter registration fraud' in the complaints that were made to the attorney general. And the case has been sent to the prosecutor.
Dino,
A little more in depth research on your part would reveal that the use of the term "Voter Fraud" is't nearly as restrictive as you imply. It would also reveal that what the term means isn't always clear. I did spend a few (very few) minutes of internet research. The term is used quite broadly when referring to illegal acts related to voting.

I didn't find any that matched these incidents exactly. They did match several half way in different aspects. Some incidents did not involve monetary gain by participants but the only one I found involving subjects voting out of their districts to affect a local election did involve vote buying. I kind of recall that there is a noted conservative spokesperson that was outed for a similar type of voter fraud and I was thinking it was Laura Ingraham but I couldn't find it in the short time I looked.

Yes, registering and voting in a district you are not lawfully permitted to vote in would easily fit a broader definition of the term. The action in question clearly isn't, IMH non-lawyer opinion legal. Do I think it's something anybody is likely to prosecute? No, probably not. Does that make it "right"? No, more likely a left practice Wink

The accusations may well have originally been made with hate in the heart. I wouldn't be a bit surprised. That doesn't make them less true. They do appear to be true.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Snork,
quote:
How many times did Tiffany vote? There was no District 5 at the time
If you're stating that there was no fraudulent registration to enable voting in a district she wouldn't otherwise be eligible to vote in, then if true, I agree, no foul in the vote department.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
I'll gladly wait for the official ruling. I suspect it will end up like all of RJ and Sativa's vindictive, fraudulent attacks. "Without Merit".

Consider the source.
quote:
Originally posted by oink

with many of the far left persuasion, the end justifies the means.

and rational acts from the 'far right' persuasion? (e.g., Adolf Hitler)