Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What have we learned from this storm. (Iselle)
albezia need to go.
Helco needs to put their lines underground.
Need more solar lights in the yard, they work better than candles indoors!
Maintenance won't help a power line if a tree falls on it. The grid distribution system is obsolete and vulnerable. Who is going to pay for all the grid repairs, anyway? Maybe HELCO's board will take a cut out of their record profits. Maybe they'll grant a payment amnesty for the inconvenience experienced by their customers. Ya think?

What I've learned?

Unhook; Throw down the shackles of HELCO's power monopoly. I'm Free! Free at Last! (Sorry MLK)

[Big Grin]
We're going to need a bigger ice factory.
People under estimate the value of solar lights I think.

When in Rome.. Do as the Romans do....
Don't buy a gallon of milk to be prepared for a couple of days when it's preparation for no power!
I think this storm proves one thing. What good are the new "safe rooms" now required by the Building Code. Power out, communications out, access blocked, water out; yet you now have a nice room to sit in. Did anybody get hurt in which a Safe Room would have prevented it? I don't think so. One more building regulation that is not necessary yet there to just make residential construction more expensive.
Make a generator part of your emergency preparation kit.
after three days, a makeshift shower using a watering can will be considered the absolute most amazing shower you have had or possibly will have...also, when the dogs find and roll in every dead thing they find while you're cleaning up your debris-strewn yard, you really won't care because at this time it is truly the least of your worries.

also, one of the best resources during this storm has been this forum so thank you to everyone! we weren't able to post but we were able to stay updated with all the info people posted here, which was incredibly helpful.

Cheers
-Allison

*edited for spelling*

I do not fear computers, I fear the lack of them.
- Isaac Asimov
We always keep the wine bags with valves that come with wine for emergency water storage.. This after years ago (actually decades) buying a "campers shower" & realizing that it was the bag of a box wine in a nylon bag....

ALWAYS make blocks of ice with every container you have in every nook & cranny in the freezer

Get to know your neighbors...working as a team really helps