Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Propane Rip Off
First off...I know during this time most people arent going to be worried about my topic so I may bring it up later on. The devastation in Puna district is terrible and I don't know why there is not more coverage of how bad it is.

I just moved to the big island and live just north of Hilo. My house has a tank from Hawaii Gas. They filled it up prior to us moving in at $6.85/gallon. I feel this is insane when I can personally buy propane for less than $5/gallon.

Do you have any advice on strategy to make the propane cost less? I have a propane dryer...propane hot water...propane stove.

Any advice on this issue would be most appreciated.
I agree it's a rip off.
We have a 250 gallon tank that we quit having filled because of the cost. We just fill the small tanks at the Hawaiian homelands propane place just outside Pahoa. There propane is currently $4.20 a gallon.
Thanks Big Island! I will check it out.
Yeah, I find the Hawaii propane pricing structure strange. My experience is just the opposite here in FL, in that having large tanks filled at the residence is considerably cheaper than getting small tanks filled at a retailer. They could sell a lot more if they gave incentive to go gas by making the prices at least comparable. I will really consider whether or not to go gas when I build for that very reason. I don't want to be hauling tanks around on a regular basis. I like gas and I'm all gas now, well at least water heater, stove and dryer.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
I have experienced a price difference on a "call and fill", as compared to a "fill as needed", or a route stop. Still not as cheap as a jug swap, but for me it was a two hour round trip to get to town and back if I forgot to load the propane jugs on a grocery trip.

Community begins with Aloha
Tink...how much of a difference are you seeing when you just call for a refill?
Are there companies other than hawaii gas that fill propane tanks? For example...can I buy my own tank and have the lowest price reseller fill it for me at my home? In my case Hawaii Gas owns the tank so they can charge whatever they like.
This was in Ca a few years back, but "route stop" fill as needed was about .45 cents per gallon cheaper under a contract than a call and fill, or occasional customer. Call and ask what plans they offer.

Tink...I gave them a call and there is no cost break.
Money grabbers! Find yourself an RV size 40 pounder or so if there is a fill station near to you. I think HD in Hilo sells tanks. If not, get three 5 gallon jugs and swap when two are empty.