Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power,internet, and bringing a job with you
No wired internet at any price.

Not exactly; Telcom will gladly bring you a T1 at something like $600 install and $500-1000/month (varies by distance) with a 3-year commit...
Never seen this noted before in discussions of the lack of DSL availability in Puna, but Hawaiian Telcom is owned by the Carlyle Group, an "asset management company" that bought Hawaiian Tel (excepting wireless) from Verizon.

In other words, a equity management company, maybe one step above the vulture capitalists exemplified by Mitt Romney. The only significant goal of equity management companies is maximizing profits for their investors (only 1650 in Carlyle's case), typically at the expense of employees and capital investment. Unless, as kalakoa indicates, you help them maximize profits by bringing them big dollar business. So good luck on any improvement in the DSL situation in Puna.
Does anybody think this is something worth bringing to our elected official's attention?
No; The telecommunications industry is so mired in regulations - at the state and federal levels - that no change would be possible through an elected official. In fact, without a major regulator overhaul, the status quo is likely not to change any time soon. We cannot even get a consensus on the little things. A major change to such a large industry, which would also affect so many citizens, is not in the cards. The answer to this is going to be local entrepreneurship. Like that of Aloha broadband, and potentially others to follow.
We are bringing hubby's work laptop in October. I have a backup Verizon wireless card for my job and we will pack that. Neither of us are able to work from a public location due to the nature of the type of software we support (both different but both financial in nature). I have a feeling the remote work offer may work for him but not for me. My company is usually gracious with people who want to make a major change. They will usually let you work from a remote location for 3-6 months while you look for another job.
Working from shared office situation may be do-able and while it isn't a true telecommute it would allow him keep his job and live there.
Dayna, thanks for the offer. We will see you early October.
FWIW, the Verizon Home Fusion is more reliable than when we had Oceanic at a rental we had in HA and faster than the DSL we had in Alaska. Our only complaints is that its way too expensive and the 30GB data cap is way too small. You can go over it at $10/gig but who can afford that?
I pay $67 a month for 7mb DSL and home phone with unlimited long distance.
I inquired as to the cost of a business class DSL that offered 3mb down 3mb up connection.
The cost was quoted at $375 per month with a 3 year contract, with substantial penalties for early termination.
I was assured that I would see better performance with the 3x3 business class than my current 7x1 residential.
If it would have been under $200, I would have went ahead with it.
The business class differs in that you are not sharing bandwidth with others in your area.
The cost will vary according to your address. Call them and inquire.
I'm in Fern Acres, and here there are some streets partially coved by Oceanic cable. Good speed and reliability. We have 15 Mbps. Peggy

Peace and long life
Peace and long life
Hawaiian Telcom is owned by the Carlyle Group

Thanks for the tip -- it explains everything quite well.

The answer to this is going to be local entrepreneurship.

Unfortunately the local government can't help -- even if they wanted to, they would immediately be sued by the incumbents for "tampering" with their "level playing field".

This has already happened in several places; the exclusivity granted by a franchise agreement includes the exclusive right to NOT offer service -- adding a performance clause to the franchise agreement would be a neat solution, but requires government to enact the will of the People (not happening).
Leilanidude - I believe you live in Leilani Estates, yes (maybe obvious from your name but don't want to assume)? I thought they have cable and cable internet available there. Yes, no, sort of?