Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State paying to test water for property owners?
Is quite a few 1/4, 1/2? Just curious.
All you are gonna get is a guess..... so you may as well guess for yourself.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Okay then. I will guess 50% are rentals.
But remember, the rental owners don't live there, and the actual permanent residents don't make any money off the rentals.

Carol
Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Just like many other vacation spots,some of the rental owners bought their dream house and use the income to pay the mortgage ! There are also a fair number of income producing places.As far as full time residents,there are very few and many are typical Puna residents.

POOR !!!

rental owners bought their dream house and use the income to pay the mortgage

I'm sure they're all registered for GET and collecting their TAT, keeping the required levels of insurance, and upgrading their wastewater systems to meet the occupancy... NOT
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

rental owners bought their dream house and use the income to pay the mortgage

I'm sure they're all registered for GET and collecting their TAT, keeping the required levels of insurance, and upgrading their wastewater systems to meet the occupancy... NOT

Sorry dude but yes they are.Most anyway and because the county won't enforce their own ordinances, we require new buyers to upgrade their septic to latest greatest Health Department standard or they cannot remain hooked up to the water system.
quote:
Originally posted by lavalava

Puts up with the tourists? What percentage are rentals? I always thought that Kapoho made their living off the tourists...

What is with you? Seriously.

There are those of us, like my husband and I, and pretty much every one on my block that is a full time owner/resident, and I believe most are on SS or pensions as there are only 2 people younger than me and I am 55. Out of 13 houses on our st, 2 are vacation homes. 1 of those the owner has been here now 210/238 days so far so I dont consider them a vacation renter. And since that person is my brother, they flew out here on the 9th loaded down with solar lighting, food and other things they thought we would need. They pitched in and helped clean up the streets, and two ponds. They could have stayed in their nice home on the mainland and watched it on TV with power and cable. I am pretty lucky to have such a great brother and sister in law. My brother thought his considerable paramedic training and disaster training might be utilized but instead he shoveled other people's crap and gave us moral support - my husband had two surgeries during the last 20 days.

There are a number of people living down here who make their living and support their families from being caretakers - cleaners, handyman, landscapers, etc. This neighborhood isnt all rich white folk with second homes although there are quite a few vacation rentals. There is also a fair # of Hilo people like our former civil defense director who have homes here and have had them since the original property owners bought here.

Drive around here lavalava. Few of the homes are ostentatious.

So exactly what is your problem? You dont live here and you dont even know the neighborhood makeup. You suppose things that you think is true. If you are so concerned about Kapoho, put your money where your mouth is and come down with gloves and a shovel.

ETA - Rough estimate on 4 blocks I could do off the top of my head - 10 empty lots, 21 long term residences (19 owners and 2 LT rentals), 6 vacation rentals. So I guess fanning out from my house it is less than 25% vacation rentals.
Is there something illegal about vacation homes or rentals I was not aware of?
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Capacity of individual wastewater disposal systems is based on "occupancy".

Opinion: because a "vacation rental" generates more waste than a "single-family", upgrade should be required for any property which is used as a rental.