Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hour and a half from Hilo to HPP
Drove home from Hilo to HPP this evening and there was still a backup around 8pm. That's a new one for me.

As for Carol's observation that traffic was backed up to Shower, well, think yourself lucky. Normally the early commute is OK, but quite often the backup at 9am is way back to Paradise and beyond.
quote:
Originally posted by TomK

Drove home from Hilo to HPP this evening and there was still a backup around 8pm. That's a new one for me.

As for Carol's observation that traffic was backed up to Shower, well, think yourself lucky. Normally the early commute is OK, but quite often the backup at 9am is way back to Paradise and beyond.

Backed up at 8 doesn't surprise me. At 3:15 it was backed up almost all the way to the credit union and as we got closer to the first school light it kept getting slower and slower until it was barely moving at all. I abandoned that effort and creeped along the median and turned there and drove home the back way.
Tom,
When we went through at about 4 it was backed up all the way to the Volcano highway. We had to go into Foodland and traffic was backed up all through Keaau and as far as we could see looking up towards Volcano too. When we were done the light in Keaau was such a gridlocked mess we didn't try heading to HPP through town, but instead went back to the highway, it took us almost an hour to get from The Volcano intersection to past the merge. There was no visible sign of why things were so backed up, no accident, no active road work, just a whole lot of cars. I know UHH classes started this week, but I don't think Puna has enough college students for that to be the explanation. We are having our Middle School open house tonight, I hope I can make it home afterward!

Carol
Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
We were scratching our heads yesterday when things were backed up at 2:30! Took us a good half hour just to get through the Keaau mess, an hour to get home from Hilo. I can only imagine how much worse it got later.

At the time, trucks were coming on and off the pavement on 130 for construction, intermittently blocking the road. I'm wondering if this delayed the traffic enough to have a residual effect the rest of the day?
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
BRUTAL traffic last night and this morning, WTF is going on ?

Someone told me there is shortcut ou can take from volcano highway into Puna, though 8th or 6th or something, any one know about this ?

Basically Ive been going Keaau way, left at school, and then merge at the bottle neck. Not sure if it even saves me 5 minutes. Somethings got to give though, its unbearable.
My wife set out for Hilo at 6:30 this morning and arrived at her destination at 7:05. She said the traffic was fine, nothing like yesterday. Can only guess it got worse after that?
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
I left at 7:10, it was backed up to Paradise. ;/
I guess I'd better not buy any ice cream for awhile[}Smile]
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Oneself,
The "back way" from Pahoa is through Ainaloa, up to Hawaiian Acres/8 road, then out to the Highway. From HPP it is too hard to turn left across traffic to use that path in the morning. In the evening it is hard to turn across traffic to get back to HPP, plus right now the construction on Volcano highway has had the way backed up all the way to Kea'au. My coworker who lives in Volcano said everyone she knows is taking Stainback to get home.

Carol
Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
There's also the Ola'a street route, but part of it is a dirt road that is too rough for many cars. Going toward Kurtistown, turn left on Ola'a, just before KT post office. Road curves left, ends at a T intersection. Turn right, road becomes dirt road shortly. You'll go up a hill, turn left at top of hill. You're now on Pohaku, will come to 130.