Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hour and a half from Hilo to HPP
I tried that route once in my car, and I had to turn around because of the ruts and potholes, only take that one if you have plenty of time and a truck.

Carol
Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
If the county was actually interested in solving impact of the bottleneck created by the Kea’au bypass itself, there’s a simple, well known traffic control method to accomplish that: block the side roads and keep the traffic lights green through the bypass. HCPD could deploy reserve officers in mid-afternoon to barricade the old Kea’au-Pahoa road and Kukula St. at their intersections with the Kea’au bypass and prevent left turns out of Milo. Signs would be placed each day up the hill, perhaps by the MacDonald’s intersection and also on Milo, to warn drivers heading south on the side roads to approach the bypass from Highway 11. This would not mitigate the problems created by the construction, but would solve the every day problems created by the intersections and traffic lights on the bypass. In the misty future when Hwy 130 is built out perhaps this would not be necessary.
My car probably wont make it then.
The Puna Crawl ----

Get used to it - This will be the new normal for the foreseeable future.
Police are ticketing speeders on Rd 8 in Hawaiian Acres daily,the speed limit is 25mph on Rd 8.
We have a 4x4 lifted truck,we take olaa to Orchidland Drive and turn left on O.L.D. Slow going and very bad road ,5mph at best,on 40th but faster than the kea'au - pahoa crawl.
Since school has started this will be the new normal.Leave at 5am,5:30am and go town and hang out at your fave watering hole,we enjoy Kandi's as they open at 4:30am for the commuters to Kona doing the daily commute to work and back over the saddle.
We return via the zoo road and N.Kulani over to Hwy 11 and up to gloomwood.
Huge potholes in the road to Kulani prison between zoo and N.Kulani,will take off a front end easily.
Sometimes we go N.Kulani into HA and down Rd F and out ainaloa to pahoa side avoiding Rd 8 and speeders and police speed enforcement traps.
We leave never later than 5:30am and return past 8pm to avoid most of the Puna Crawl .
Another good time is from 5:15pm to 6pm as we call this time of day - feeding time - when most humans are feeding them selves.Easy time on the commute.
Every school is back in session now,many families have to commute to go work and take the offspring to the places where they earn their rights of passage to the next grade level.
By 2018 the construction from Kea'au to Pahoa might be done,but will start a new as they are 15 years behind themselves .
There is NO common sense in any level of Govt.
Infrastructure sucks pond water on Big island.
Get used to it folks,it is the new normal.
Leave earlier,buy a 4x4 and arrive home late to avoid the Puna Crawl of the masses.
H1 on Oahu more worse.

Life is a blessing
people that think the hawaiian acres back way is faster ....not so after your big drive around you will only wind up in a traffic jam trying to get out of the acres, and then there is the back up on the belt road all the way to keaau. this is only to get worse as more people move in we are heading for the oahu gridlock .
Time for a monorail. What's it called? MONORAIL!!
quote:
Originally posted by cwoods61

There's also the Ola'a street route, but part of it is a dirt road that is too rough for many cars. Going toward Kurtistown, turn left on Ola'a, just before KT post office. Road curves left, ends at a T intersection. Turn right, road becomes dirt road shortly. You'll go up a hill, turn left at top of hill. You're now on Pohaku, will come to 130.

The Ola'a route is private roads for residents and guests of Orchidland only. Please don't make us gate our community Smile
quote:
Originally posted by EightFingers

I guess I'd better not buy any ice cream for awhile[}Smile]

The rate things are going... forget the ice cream. Don't buy any green bananas!
quote:
Originally posted by terracore

quote:
Originally posted by cwoods61

There's also the Ola'a street route, but part of it is a dirt road that is too rough for many cars. Going toward Kurtistown, turn left on Ola'a, just before KT post office. Road curves left, ends at a T intersection. Turn right, road becomes dirt road shortly. You'll go up a hill, turn left at top of hill. You're now on Pohaku, will come to 130.

The Ola'a route is private roads for residents and guests of Orchidland only. Please don't make us gate our community Smile

They were redirecting traffic that way due to an accident one morning, only time I used it. If that's the case, there should be signage, I saw none.
If you notice, they are starting to bring in the asphalt preparation equipment. This is when lane closures start happening. They have been putting most of their effort in the drainage under the small bridge, some of these storms probably highlighted extra work. The asphalt preparation takes lots of large dump trucks. They can tend to stick out and traffic slows down to go around them. The roundabout starts next month. This time is going to look like the good times compared to what they will be in a month or so.

"We come in peace!" - First thing said by missionaries and extraterrestrials
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*