Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HVO website says the flow was inactive today!
Wow, what great news. Hope it holds.
Correction, on another slide it says that other parts of the flow are active, but it's not advancing. Sorry about the misinterpretation.
Maybe you should delete the thread?
You cannot delete the threads that you create. Only RT can.
I see what you meant now. Didn't see that they updated the map last night. From the description of the latest map update, "However, the tip of the flow was inactive today and there was no indication that lava was continuing to advance within ground cracks." So you're right that it is great news. Just the day before at the meeting they said it had entered a new crack. Hopefully more info in this morning's update!
This morning, when the report comes out- if we compare the gases being released today, with the gases released yesterday- it will give us a clue about the actual volume of magma that is moving. (comparatively)
very good images and details on this link
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/multimedia/

large images, you can really blow the images up and see details and individual trees etc.

PS. one pic shows a very large older crack that would face the Pahoa area as well, its to the left of where the flow from the smaller crack stalled yesterday... the pic is the 4th group down, 1st images w/o a caption

Id be worried about ground cracks funneling a good flow farther faster
and also changing the direction, but I guess always downhill, so limited in directions it can go... Just south of this flow is a high spot 1,711' tall called Heiheiahulu, its between the flow and Black Sand Subdivision (fyi Black Sand is about 3 miles away from where the flow stalled)

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
Thanks bananahead. That large nearby crack to the left (south) looks like it's right at the top of the rift ridge. If the lave flows into that it might be awhile 'til we see it again. . .
Tutu Pele is internalizing - not inactive,just contemplating her next move.What is under her skin is still hot and bothered.
Taking a breather ............
On really clear mornings, I look out the backyard at the clouds rising up from the ground (people are not noticing clouds coming up out of the ground?). Been watching them long enough, they tell quite a story. This morning, the sky to the southwest was totally clear. It did look like both fronts stalled. But now, the clouds are starting to rise from the ground and getting bigger. This is forest burning. At first, it starts out as mostly white steam but as the wood gets dried out, the clouds start to have puffs of dark gray. On a morning like this, where it starts out totally clear, there is a spot on Hwy 130 where it is possible to look to the southwest, see Puu Oo erupting in the distance, Mauna Loa to the horizon behind, and Mauna Kea to the right side. So, it hasn't completely stalled.

"We come in peace!" - First thing said by missionaries and extraterrestrials
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*