Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goddess Pele
Here is a quote from today's Hawaii Tribune Herald: Said Ihilani Niles, “To Native Hawaiians, Pele is our kupuna, she is our ancestor.”

“This is her place and if she feels she needs to clean her house, then let her clean her house,” she added.

What if it breaks Madam Pele's heart that her lava flow is killing her Ohia trees and the birds and animals that live in her forests. Maybe she is sad that she will be uprooting native Hawaiians that have lived here for many generations. Somehow, the notion that Pele would be happiest if she covered the entire island with fresh lava so that life could start over again doesn't exactly make sense to me.
It's been happening for a very long time. There wouldn't be what there is now if it hadn't happened before. Truly a cycle of life.
What was Pele bitching about from 400,000 years ago until about 1,500 years ago? There was nobody here to punish or cleans.
One of the wonders of Pele, and this island chain, is the creation of Kipukas. These remnant older forests and landscapes are surrounded and isolated by fresh lands, and have allowed the living things in this archipelago to undergo transformation. Through destruction, there is creation.

May we all be able to assist those that need help, and plan for what may happen, while recognizing that this is a part of the reality of Pele and Hawaii.
From endings come new beginnings.

It is tragic in the moment for homes to be destroyed. But from the tragedy families come together to help one another. Neighbors come together.

There may come a time in the future where generations say "my great grandmother lived in Pahoa when the lava came" and tell the story that has been told to them of the evacuation.

Not to get biblical but it happened to Moses, and Noah, so I dont see why Pele can not do the same thing to all of us.

We live in times of strife and neighbor fighting against neighbor. Maybe Pele sees this as a chance to bring people together.

Okay this is my silver lining post.

People create a narrative for the world around them, to make sense of that world. Whether it is a myth, a legend, or historical account, they all help us to understand where we are and where we are going.

I've been watching Bill Moyers & Joseph Campbell (Hawaii resident until his death) discuss mythology in the series "The Power of Myth," and this quote by Campbell has really stuck with me the last month:

'Myth is much more important and true than history. History is just journalism and you know how reliable that is.'
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Well said Pahoated!!
I think there are many court battles coming about Culture = Religion
I guess I must be an "old school" Haole that respects the aina and what she gives us, and a gentleman that if a lady is approaching that I step aside and say "you first ma'am", such as Tutu Pele and her journey towards the sea to create a new land, again rich and fertile for creation to begin. It is unfortunate that she may relocate the residents, including the people in her journey, but in the big picture, this is just a blink in her eye of the centuries she has been on this rock called earth creating the paradise as we know it.

Community begins with Aloha
Regardless of your mythical/religious beliefs.....Call it/ her what you want. At the end of the day, it is what it is, and you aren't going to stop lava. Calling it Pele or a Volcano doesn't change the end result. Best to prepare and accept.