Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lava flow and elections
quote:
Originally posted by csgray

It's kind of hard to deliver absentee ballots if the post office is for those areas are behind a wall of hot lava
Indeed, sorry if I was not clear. I thought it would be understood that the access to mail problem would need to be straightened out. but the overall postal problem will have other agencies working on it and is not going to be solely on the heads of Elections.

My question was more whether people would be willing to forego the same day precinct polling for a more flexible approach with a longer range of time. Sounds like Frankie's post is all over that option. Thanks Frankie!

Kathy
On 9/11 I sent an email to the County Elections Office asking about their plan and how they would treat the address issue for evacuees. Stewart Maeda replied that they would make a plan once they see where the lava is going. This made me see red, because I believe that they should already have an overall plan that they could tweek to address any details. So I forwarded his email to Darryl Oliveira (who already has a lot on his plate) and Mayor Billy. Billy got really angry at Maeda's response and said he would make sure that Puna wasn't locked out of the polls - even if the PO gets covered by lava! Let's wait and see what they come up with.
Thank you Rene for working on this, I hope you and all of your animals have a safe harbor at this time.

I've also been thinking about how many people are having to move between now and the election. Where will their "legal" residence be for voting purposes? If they use their work or business address in Kea'au or Hilo as a new mailing address are other people going to challenge their vote? If people are forced out of their homes by this event will the voting division regard them as still being legal residents of district 5, after all no one knows how long they will have to be living somewhere else, or will they be denied the right to vote on the grounds they no longer live in district 5? I have to admit I don't have any faith in the office that is supposed to protect our right to free, fair, and transparent elections.

Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Thank you Frankie and Rene. I'm not directly affected by the current lava flow but have become a little disillusioned with the oversight of local elections here and am truly astonished that no contingency plans have yet to be made, if that's indeed true.
quote:
Originally posted by csgray

Where will their "legal" residence be for voting purposes? If they use their work or business address in Kea'au or Hilo as a new mailing address are other people going to challenge their vote?
Mailing address has no bearing on it. The registration form asks for residence and mailing. Mailing is to contact you. It's your residence that determines your district.
quote:
If people are forced out of their homes by this event will the voting division regard them as still being legal residents of district 5, after all no one knows how long they will have to be living somewhere else, or will they be denied the right to vote on the grounds they no longer live in district 5?
It all depends on whether a person intends to make a permanent move. If the relocation is temporary, and they intend to go back and still have a residence in their present district, then they should not vote in a new district.

If they really move and abandon all ties to the old district, not knowing if they will return, then they should register in the new district. They can switch back whenever they do move back.

It's not that complicated for people who are in an honest dilemma, and it's highly unlikely that people's votes would be challenged in that situation.

If a person intends to relocate and acts accordingly, and abandons the old home, then that is a relocation. If a person keeps a permanent home and has to stay somewhere else for a while, that's not a real move.

The challenges that are happening occur when people want to be able to vote somewhere or represent somewhere, but don't actually live there, and try to make a pseudo residence address pass.

Kathy
Elections Office could make life simple by stating that evacuees would be treated as though they were on vacation - not there at the moment but official address unchanged. However, I don't give them credit for cutting through red tape so easily. I understand that a representative from that office will be at the Pahoa community center today to answer questions, and I hope that they do actually have answers, as opposed to fatuous gobbledegook.

Me? I'm voting walk-in, as always. Hope that by then there is a venue that I can get to to do that :-)
From today's WHT front page link...

http://westhawaiitoday.com/news/volcano-...-prep-lava

FYI: (*Source: Bobbie Jean Leithead Todd's Update FB Page)

Voter Information at Pahoa Community Center. We are encouraging people to sign up for absentee mail in ballots.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/69630688...7/?fref=nf
I heard that they MAY use the Nanawale facility for walk-in voting from Oct. 21 to 31. It's not a done deal yet, but it is in the talking stages.
I would recommend that folks make use of the absentee/mail in ballot and not totally rely on early walk in or day of election voting.