Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fires
it is so dry right now , I am concerned as there are a couple people in my area that insist on burning trash or just burning a fire at night .
Brush fires are a concern given how dry it has been.

There's been posts on Puna related FB pages about Firewise Communities Hawaii, a wildfire safety program that offers free info and resources to folks to help them reduce their risk to fire.

Here's a link to a video on how to make your home Firewise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUsReqqLs8A

It also says Firewise will be the featured speaker at the Oct. 2 Puna Watch meeting at the Keaau Community Center,
It is against Hawaii County law to have open burning. Call the fire department and report it. Believe me, they will come out, talk to the person and put the fire out. Generally, the 1st time, they give the person a warning. Second time - a nice ticket with a fine.
It's legal to have a fire for cooking purposes.
That's why they're called WINNERS.
these are not cooking fires. they are burning trash and vegetation as they clear property . not talking about cooking food .
not cooking fires. they are burning trash and vegetation

Purely a semantic issue. Put the trash/vegetation in a barrel, throw a grill on top, now it's a "cooking fire" and perfectly okay with HFD, right?
sure until that camping fire gets out of its can and spreads , then the forest is burning , California is a prime example of why no fires
Getting a nice rain right now In Leilani. (09/21/14, just before noon)

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
sure until that camping fire gets out of its can and spreads

If the operator can't control their burn, it hardly matters whether a can was involved.