Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lava flow and elections
The form needed to receive an absentee ballot is available at the library.
We received letters today from the elections dept. including a form to file for an absentee ballot for this coming election. Also mentioned were absentee walk locations open in advance of the General Election.
"The Office of the County Clerk, Elections Division hope you and your loved ones are safe during this time of uncertainty caused by the lava threat. We understand that there are many priorities in your life due to this emergency. We want to provide you with every opportunity to vote in the General Election on November 4, 2014."
It has been confirmed that the Elections Office has arranged with Nanawale Estates to have walk-in voting there from October 21 to November 1. Hours are Monday to Friday 8 am to 4 pm, and Saturday Oct. 25 from 8 am to 4 pm.

Too many people were unable to vote in the primary, due to Iselle, albizias and Scott Nago. Don't allow yourself to be disenfranchised again - there are now alternatives: mail in and walk in. Go for it!
I would highly recommend to everyone NOT to rely on Nanawale for your walk-in voting, if you want your vote to be counted. I refuse to even vote in their NCA elections anymore, they are so shall we say "calculated."
FYI: (*Source - Brenda Ford, Councilperson)

Aloha,

On Tuesday, Sep. 30, 2014 at 3:00 p.m., Communication No. 1063 will be before the Public Safety and Mass Transit Committee. The discussion will be the Primary Election problems and the County Clerk’s (Stewart Maeda) plan to prevent disruption of the 2014 General Election in the event of a disaster.

I requested that the County Clerk provide the Council Committee Members with a written emergency plan for the current lava flow and future storms. All of our Primary and General Elections occur during hurricane season, and emergency preparedness for disasters is critical.

It is my hope that the County Office of Elections will be able to provide public information in sufficient time for any changes made to the General Election Day processes due to the lava flow, any storms, or other potential disasters.

Hope to see you at the meeting.

Brenda Ford
Council Member – District 6
Hawai‘i County Council
Thanks for the info, Opihikao. I've put it on my calendar.
@Frankie -
I know you have issues with the Nanawale board, but they will not be running the walk-in voting - only providing the venue. The Elections Office will run the voting.
There is enough reason to be concerned. The Elections Office has an established history of making things worse.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
A candidate has become a supporter of more commercial buildings in Kea'au.

@4:05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPynGOn9UK4

"We come in peace!" - First thing said by missionaries and extraterrestrials
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
A candidate has become a supporter of more commercial buildings in Kea'au.

Safe bet: the HMSA building will force development, because those 200 people have to go somewhere for lunch.

I'm expecting a Subway and/or Starbuck's in the first wave.