Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheap produce at the foodbank
The program they have for seniors has been expanded to include anyone. Just call them in Hilo, and find out where (sites all over)you can pick up a bag of produce for either 10 dollars - if you're on EBT or 16 if you are not. I've been doing it for about a month, and although it is a bit hit-or-miss, and you don't get to pick your produce, I do think overall it's a good deal- and it's all local.
Julie, could you please post phone numbers, or where they are located, address? I could pass that info!!
Mahalo!

punalvr
punalvr
933-6030. I forget the name of the program, but they'll know what it is if you start talking about "the 10 and 16 dollar program".
Many Mahalos for the info. I know a lot of families in desperate need for food, and they are on EBT.
So they are passing out veggies alone, or canned foods?
This is great info.
I love your commitment.
Thank you.

punalvr
punalvr
Thanks. Yeah, I know, things are getting more and more expensive, and now with the Kress closing- it really cuts into the quality of life- for young families. Anyhow, it is not canned goods, and it is not rice, pasta or bread. It is stuff like tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, onions, ginger, mushrooms, banana, beans etc. That's why I wasn't sure at first to post about it, because some of the stuff is practically free - like bananas, but there is other stuff too- that I normally can't buy because it's too expensive. Bring your own Walmart-sized bag- and that's the amount you will get. It's a good amount for a family for the week.
Awesome. I will take, and inform my peeps. I am all for it, price is right.
Thank you so much for this info!!!

punalvr
punalvr