Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thought I saw a hummingbird this morning
After walking the yard with my coffee this morning, I stopped off to check one of my Catt orchids in bloom.
I thought I saw a large bee flitting around it because of it's orangish sides.
Then, it stopped and hovered around the flowers.
It looked like an 1-1/2" long hummingbird.
I was amazed.

Going in the house and checking on hummingbirds in Hawaii on my PC, I find that it was a Hummingbird Moth.
Blew my mind.
I'm hoping that the eruption may have enhanced our area for them.
I'd like to see more of them around.
A truly amazing animal.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
1V1 - Got them over at my place too. They are going crazy with all the new flowers blooming after Fissure 8 died.
We plant flowers that attract this endemic moth as their population is dwindling as are other moth species on our island.Yes they are an amazing creature we are so blessed to have pollinate our flowers and fruit tree's.
Mrs.Mimosa
I googled them because they sounded interesting. Amazing looking creatures. This also popped up in my searches;

http://www.punaweb.org/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=0.533333333333333&TOPIC_ID=15726&
We used to see them all the time, then I think we didn't see them at all for a few years. Back again this year.
We get them too in Pa'auilo

We're all here, because we're not all there!
We're all here, because we're not all there!
I've seen one or two at our place. They are quite amazing.

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon in Keaau/HPP
I've seen thousands over the years. Still seeing plenty as the eruption had no effect on any here in HA. They come at dusk most often. Every now and again one will get stuck in the house against the screen if I leave the door open.
Been busy working around the yard, grading and spreading cinders on driveway and overflow parking, replacing dilapidated mailbox, and lanai roof.
In my "travels" I've seen 2 more hummingbird moths.

After not seeing any for over 5 years then 3 in a very short span, something must have changed for the good from the eruption.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Was a Democrat until gun control became a knee jerk, then a Republican until the crazies took over, back to being a nonpartisan again.
This time, I can no longer participate in the primary.
There are dozens of them all day long at my place now, working the Hibiscus and other flowers. Speaking of flowers, it is as if the flowering plants think it is Spring.