Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UKIRT: current news
I won't post details for now, it just doesn't seem the right time to do it, but also didn't want to remain silent and then be accused of withholding information.

This Friday night, UKIRT (one of the original MK telescopes and still the largest dedicated IR telescope in the northern hemisphere) will be transferred to UH ownership but operated by the University of Arizona. The current UKIRT staff will remain employed by the new operator.

Not sure if this will make the local news given the lava flow, but thought I'd let those who are interested know. For those who are interested, you will know this has been a long and very stressful period, but it is ending well.

Thank you to those of you that have given us your support, and personally, if there is anything I can do to help people impacted by the lava flow, I am an email away.
Wondering where you been Tom ... aloha, pog
Great to hear some good news!
Glad to hear your job will be continuing, congratulations. That must have been stressful.

Any chance anyone up at the summit is photographing the lava flow on clear nights from up there? You guys get some nice photos up there besides those of the universe.
None of our staff are as we operate remotely these days (i.e., we have no staff on the mountain at night) but I'm sure someone has taken some photos. I'm not aware of any at the moment though. However, I did find the following really nice panorama taken at the VIS on Mauna Kea (not the summit, but at around 9000 ft). This was in 2013 so does not include the current flow but does give an impression of how things look from the mountain at night:

https://flic.kr/p/eQT3f3
Amazing, thanks for sharing.

One of my favorite "The Far Side" cartoons by Gary Larson is the one of the astronomer with the black eye and circle around it from putting his eye too close to the eyepiece of the telescope. Times have changed.
Article on Big Island Video News:

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2014/1...mauna-kea/
I don't understand the last part of the press release issued by the University of Hawaii. It states "UKIRT can continue to be a world leader in infrared astronomy for at least 10 more years."

The master lease for all of the Mauna Kea telescopes runs until 2033. This means there is 18 years left on the lease, not 10 (UH is trying to extend the master lease though, but that may take awhile).
The 10 years presumably refers to the operation agreement they have with UAz and Lockheed.
Whoa! That is one of the great photos! Thanks Tom. I am glad you have gotten through the difficult job time.