Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fireworks
Aloha! What is the deal with NYE fireworks on this island. If you need permits, where can you buy them and when? Anywhere in Puna?

All i've found is a news article last year which says you can buy permits at the store.

Mahalo
I know Pinkys used sell them. Pinkys went out of business but still plans to sell fire works this year. You don't need a permit to buy some fireworks and nearly ever store in town sells them kind .

jrw
jrw
My understanding is that you can legally buy fireworks that emit sparks etc but nothing that shoots up dramatically in the air. You can buy firecrackers with a permit. I believe the vendors that sell the firecrackers can also supply the permits.
Fireworks sales are very limited to something like a week before 01/01 and 04/07. And yes they are only supposed to be the less hazardous sparkly and fountain thingys but no big boomers.

A year or 2 back Honolulu got big bad fireworks cracked down on because of fires and accidents. Since then not very many of containers of big noisemakers from China getting snuck in to Honolulu, and not many getting over to BI either.

As a dog owner I am glad for this. Really hate to stay up till midnite + to calm down the dogs, and it wouldn't be so bad if people didn't feel the need to get the boomers with the most decibels.

When I used to live up the road from one of the largest commercial fireworks factories on the East Coast, they occasionally tested new fireworks in late afternoon/ early evening and kept the bang out to minimize attention. They were really quite spectacular without any of the noise!
Dog owners keep your pets inside! Too many lost dog stories on New Years Day.