Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PGV plans new well
Punatic007 - I spoke with the head of Clean Air branch of the Healthy dept in Honolulu recently in regards to which type of air purifier would be best to use given the current pollutants. It was so bizarre, he said he doesn't recommend different types it's up the individual to decide??? I again asked for non-patented methodology, don't recommend brands just which of the many types of air purifiers works for vog and smoke. He didn't have a clue or had a strange hidden reason not to tell me. He gave me zero advice or help on even understanding what we are breathing here.

Wow... Even when you do get through, they provide nothing, not even an informed recommendation.

In speaking with CDC ATSDR region 9 last week, they said that state DOH has the jurisdiction and all requests must go through them (even if unresponsive)

Probably good to summarize some recommendations for individuals to mitigate possible exposures to start.
http://punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=20375

Then figure out next steps...
PGV will be meeting with the Board for the Leilani Community Association this week so for those who live there you may want to bring up concerns now to be ready. Topics perhaps to include:
Monitoring, including noise, H2S, and PM10 - by PGV with independent verification?
Latest Emergency Response Plan, summarized to actionable steps in the even of an unabated release.
Status of Geothermal Relocation Fund for temporary relocation should a 1991 like event occur
Others?

No doubt many of you are very informed on this topic - please share what you think is needed so we can help.
Makes perfect sense that the State would be leery of getting into a situation where, by endorsing a certain air cleaning technology, they are then deemed to have made a statement about air quality. As far as needing good luck finding unbiased studies, sometimes we make our own luck or at least set ourselves up to take advantage of luck when it comes. Start with NOT listening to groups such as Punapono.
The recommendation is to leave the area.There no effective way to filter out SO2.

"Are air cleaners effective for filtering SO2 in my home?

Air cleaners designed to filter particles are not effective in filtering out gases such as SO2. A few air-cleaning device manufacturers advertise equipment that has special absorbent materials and high-efficiency filters that may be effective in removing some gases in a room, including SO2 for some models. However, DOH is not aware of studies that show the effectiveness of these air cleaners and does not have specific recommendations on their use."

http://ltgov.hawaii.gov/emergency-inform...h-effects/
Punatic007, i won't dispute that bias can possibly be present in scientific studies and research... or the lack thereof. and sure, big business has an active history of unethical meddling and manipulation of info sources. that being said, i strongly disapprove of propaganda tactics as a counter. unfortunately, activism so often ends up following this path. i've seen it time and again, at times at very close quarters, even getting drawn in a bit myself towards more adolescent days. i see a big difference between the type of bias you are talking about and the language of overt propaganda and weakly substantiated fact so often prevalent in activist literature. i have been largely unfamiliar with Punapono in particular, only hearing offhand remarks about it here and there. the above link to their history of geothermal development in Hawaii doesn't do much to dispel my impression.
The recommendation is to leave the area.There no effective way to filter out SO2.

Subdivisions in heavy VOG areas were therefore "broken as designed"?
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

Bob Petricci(sp?)who won a lawsuit against geothermal as an adjoining neighbor.

This guy then "moved" about 1/2 mile away from his "poisoned property", continuing to complain about PGV. Fraud.

More like about 2 miles , and with normal trade winds , he is not directly downwind of the plant.
More like about 2 miles , and with normal trade winds , he is not directly downwind of the plant.
Maybe driving distance. Not straight line from PGV. He used to be about 1/2 mile from center of plant property, now is about 1 mile from center of plant property - not far at all from me, unless he moved recently. (Kahukai)
Originally posted by Obie

For clarity:
Vog (volcanic smog) is a visible haze comprised of gas and an aerosol of tiny particles and acidic droplets, created when sulfur dioxide (SO2) and other gases emitted from Kilauea Volcano chemically interact with sunlight and atmospheric oxygen, moisture, and dust.
http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/hazards/FAQ_SO2-Vog-Ash/P1.html

Some elements of vog, such as the particles, droplets, and larger compounds, can be filtered out. Gases not so easy to do.
Punatic007 your experience reminds me of one I had in 2006. The experts who are supposed to have the answers are of little or no help. I went to the capitol building in Honolulu and spoke face-to-face with Clift Tsuji about the rapidly growing coqui frog problem. He put on his most placating smile and said something like, "we're forming a committee to study the issue"; my head nearly exploded! I made him aware that that would be a waste of time and money and that the plight was causing people to sell their homes and leave the island! I made it transparently clear that what we need was people actively fighting these loud mouthed monsters!! Results? In a couple of months it will be loud and clear[B)]. I know the Keau'u police department used to refer to those of us in Eden Roc as "bushys" (no relation to former POUS) and see first hand our government of and by the people don't exhibit the highest regard for our comfort and safety. I suspect the lack of respect travels right up the chain and not likely to change. It would seem we are very much on a rock in the middle of the Pacific ocean with little or no resources but that of our own wit. Thank God for internet and a select few intelligent people kind enough to post helpful information online!