Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PGV plans new well
Bob P lives down Pohoiki, roughly one mile past PGV. Surely he is getting ready for another lawsuit. PPA is just a smokescreen for his greed.
quote:
Originally posted by lavalava

Bob P lives down Pohoiki, roughly one mile past PGV. Surely he is getting ready for another lawsuit. PPA is just a smokescreen for his greed.

Sorry lavalava, I've known Bob casually and done business with him for a few decades. High integrity and impressive character on each and every encounter. He's a stellar guy who has spent the money from the lawsuit to support and protect his neighbors, I got that from the neighbors directly.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

The recommendation is to leave the area.There no effective way to filter out SO2.

Subdivisions in heavy VOG areas were therefore "broken as designed"?

A dehumidifier deactivates SO2 particles, they adhere to water vapor. Take out the water and you no longer have a threat. Great to run at night while sleeping. Also baking soda and water sprayed into the closed room in an emergency situation. Long term exposure like in south Kona, not good, but dehumidifier would help immensely. I found a low electrical draw dehumidifier online.
kalakoa - Subdivisions in heavy VOG areas were therefore "broken as designed"?

I wanted to separate this point. While vog was probably not as prevalent when the speculative subdivisions were established, there is NO interest in fixing the "broken" design.

2000 - GT Resource Permit (GRP2) Amendment (Conditions of Permit)
"... expenditure of assets from this Geothermal Asset Fund ... A priority list of impact mitigation projects may be established by the County Councilor agency designed by the Council in conjunction with Puna residents or designated representatives thereof, with the exception of upgrading existing subdivisions in the Puna District to current subdivision standards and specifications of the County of Hawaii."
http://evols.library.manoa.hawaii.edu/bi...sequence=1
pg 47

Can use the geothermal fund for clean-up, relocations, road pavement, transfer station, or hele-on bus, etc, but not any improvements that creates a county obligation for services to their speculative subdivisions.

The goal of preserving their tax-mines appears to play a central role in many of the county decisions regarding the subdivisions many of us live in.

http://bigislandnow.com/2013/05/31/analy...rt-1-of-2/
http://bigislandnow.com/2013/06/07/analy...rt-2-of-2/
Ironyak you are awesome, thank you for keeping an open mind while sharing so much valuable information regarding Puna's geothermal. You da man Ironyak, happy new year. You have brought a smile to my better half more than once. Geothermal may be our islands future for less oil dependency but their past and present lack of concern for residential health and well being should and could improve with less bullying tactics.
Has any money and or royalties been given or taken for any health study, if so to whom and when?. This county, state, and geothermal has all thrown these few thousand tax-paying residents under their gas gusilin hele-on-bus if you ask me. Jmo of course.
Ted, it that your argument in support of geothermal drilling 24/7?
Thought I would spend a few minutes here and post some things positive about Bob Patricci. Bob has employed many locals around these parts of Puna with a very fair wage doing honorable work. I have worked on many beautiful rock walls in Puna for Bob, logged at times for him also. He has always been honest and willing to put in countless amount of time, money, and work to help out neighbors, friends, family, visitors, and community when needed. Bob is very educated about Puna's geothermal and how the state handles it's big businesses. I would always want Bob and his intentions on my side and I consider him a friend. He has done more with less in this area than companies like Ormat, or who ever owns Geo now and in the past.
I don't want to divert this thread or topic any further away from Puna's geothermal and its plans of drilling another new well during an ongoing east rift zone eruption. When I think about Geothermal I think about Bob for many reasons, mostly because of his knowledge from countless hours of self educating. He bought and invested in that land down in Poihiki some 15-20 years ago. The land was cheap like maybe $50,000 or less for 10 acres of paradise below Geothermal, most would be nuts not to buy in that area years ago before the development of Poihiki. Puna is Bobs home, love him or hate him he will always stand up for what he believes in, which is only another reason i have grown to respect him.
Is this what people refer to as the Health Study or is there something else?

2013 Independent Geothermal Public Health Assessment
http://www.accord3.com/pg68.cfm

While a very good summary of the issues and unknowns with recommendations for next steps, it is not a health study itself. It largely restates many of the same concerns voiced 30 years ago by the Volcano Community Association when geothermal was planned for Kahaualea, except it has numerous examples such as the track record for HGP-A and PGV's 1991 accident on which to base those concerns.

Given the $3.3+ million spent on community projects from the Geothermal Asset Fund, does anyone know what has been spent on actual health studies?
Sorry to reply to my own post - found the updated info from 9/6/2014
The videos, both short and long versions, are very informative.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2014/0...lth-study/
"The commission voted to approve a request for $750,000 to fund the study.
Kevin Dayton, an executive assistant to the mayor, said the Geothermal Asset Fund currently contains $1.96 million, and that if all goes well, the county expects to award a contract for the study in the first quarter of next year."
Sorry, one more link to bring some of us on the sidelines up to speed. Again, the video is very informative.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2012/0...rill-plan/
"
Two high profile bills dealing with geothermal energy were on Wednesday’s County Council agenda. Both were vetoed by Mayor Billy Kenoi, and the council hoped to overturn the vetoes with a super majority vote.
After hours and hours of testimony, the first veto override was taken up. Bill 257: a measure that, if passed as originally intended, would have provided or clarified the county’s evacuation plans in case of a geothermal emergency by August 1st.
Eventually, the vote came down. The results: 5 to 4, one vote short the 6 needed to override the mayor’s veto.
"