Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mackenzie State Recreation Area
The park is still gated and closed. Why so long after Hurricane Iselle? Does anyone know what the plan is for this area and whether there is anything we can do to get some movement on reopening the park?

Just livin the dream
Just livin the dream
State park? Call your state rep...
Drought, hurricane, new lava flow, forest fires, roads being cut off, new evacuation roads being built, commercial centers closing, infrastructure threatened. Just a few of the reasons why.
I wonder if the Linda Lingle Memorial Pit Toilet is still in place?
Punalivin: That park has a reputation. Not at all good. None of the older Hawaiians and Kamaainas I know will go there. Ask someone knowledgeable why there's a stigma about that place and maybe you'll change your mind about going there. Could be the reason there's no rush by the county workers to reopen?
This is true. Absolutely. Night Marchers and more.

Today, the "living" desecrate this place, decade after decade. Hewa.

JMO.
Personally this park is one of my favorites on the big island. Spent many great days out on the cliffs of McKenzie, usually with friends and family. Great fishing off the cliffs for us fisherman, with nature trails full of history for the explorers. We take our older boys down to mckenzie to what use to be the old railroad tracks to look for bottles sometimes. We like to take the younger boys through the caves down there and tell stories of night marchers or dragons.
Had a good friend taken by sharks out in front a few years back and we like to show respects. Many reasons why our ohana would like to see this beautiful park reopened. Yes get plenty people who abuse it and its neighboring properties and that is a shame. Maybe a lifeguard, dlnr officer, or park ranger would be helpful down that way now that we are encouraging more tourism and homeless. We need more local access along our coastline not less, JMOpinions.
It was built leveled with prisoner labor, a few of which died and are buried there. There has been a few murders there in the 80's.

"The park was built by prison convicts in the late 1850s, during the height of the sugar plantation era in Hawaii and the convicts - mostly plantation laborers who committed crimes - were shipped over from Honolulu’s prison camps. Working under the unforgiving conditions of an isolated area, the convicts cleared the thick rainforest and removed large lava rocks to level the park’s ground. Many of them succumbed to the hot humid climate, lack of sanitized water, and outbreak of diseases. There are no records of where their bodies were buried, presumably somewhere in the park."

http://www.kahunaresearchgroup.org/case-...state-park
I've been concerned about the safety condition of the caves. In the last 5 or so years or so I've noticed big chunks of ceiling rock on the ground. Approx. 200 to 500 lb. rocks. Hopefully that situation is being addressed while it is closed.
Slowly, but surely...

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/news/loc...le-repairs

“There were a lot of ironwood trees that either fell over and were uprooted or some even snapped in half,” he said. “There was erosion damage to the cliffs along the shoreline and we are just about done with the cleanup of that area and the installation of signs to indicate the safe distance we would like the public to remain from the cliff edge.

“We are hoping to have the park ready for opening by the end of (this week), but it may take another week to ensure that safety issues from the storms have been addressed.” At least 30 trees were downed by the storm in the park area.