Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mercury concentrations in Hawaiian yellowfin tuna
loud vibrating geothermal drilling 24/7 butting up to homes is extremely cruel. The gases that were released during the hurricane accident were reported to have made several people ill

Right -- "cruelty" and "illness" aren't enough to shut down (or even attempt to regulate) geothermal, but the problem is somehow a "bias"?

@Punatic007 - what in the world does mercury in Tuna, in the ocean, have to do with geothermal energy production?
I cannot wait for your tie-in to this one.
one little peep about geothermal and Punatic007 lets fly with the accusations of being a PGV insider spreading propaganda. i had no idea there were so many employees of PGV here on Punaweb.
I'm all for geothermal and I don't get a paycheck (yet). Where do I sign up?

The rising mercury in ahi is yet another reason why the world needs more geothermal.
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

I'm all for geothermal and I don't get a paycheck (yet). Where do I sign up?

You have to attend the secret meetings, held on the 32nd of each month at MacKenzie State Park, in order to get the paycheck. Make sure to fill out a W-2 and list all your dependents and co-conspirators.
How Timely....these reports come out in the midst of Hawaii fishermen experiencing a record Ahi haul.
Well with more mercury in Ahi than ever before, also timed with the most Ahi ever being hauled in. Makes one wonder if this will reflect positively on the prices of this ahi fish we consumers have to pay in the markets. The prices have been ridiculous for the past year or so. Seems to be more nice boats going out than ever before, less fish vendors on the sides of the roads, yet the prices have been high for good fish, why? Would our local fisherman catching these fish high in mercury be subjected to higher mercury counts too? Only fish are tested, not the folks hauling or handling them?
Punafish,

"Tom, Gypsy is not implying that half the stuff you post is untrue. He's saying half of the stuff you post is to correct his mistakes. Sounds like both a compliment and self-deprecating remark."

You are absolutely correct. Gypsy69 - my apologies, I misread the last part of your post. Sincere apologies for that. Sorry for any offense you might have taken.
quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

I saw that report on the news last night just after eating a big slab of tuna.
Then again, they said that the average Hawaiian household consumes 24lb of ahi poke a year. That's a lot!

Even though the amount of mercury is rising, it doesn't mean it has reached dangerous levels.

PaulW, ditto. I just throw some limu kohu (full of iron), and some chili pepper water, Hawaiian salt on that fish, knowing that all those "ingrediments" counteract the mercury.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. [Smile]

JMO.

P.S. Go for the limu kohu that is purple at the roots, not brown.

ETA: Mr. Tom, you are a true English gentleman, Sir.
"Would our local fisherman catching these fish high in mercury be subjected to higher mercury counts too? Only fish are tested, not the folks hauling or handling them?"

The mercury we're talking about is only an issue if ingested, i.e., you eat the stuff or inhale it. There's no risk in handling the fish, and as Paul says, despite the rising levels, they are not yet at the harmful level. But it's not good that the levels are rising and more of a problem that the mercury just keeps building up in the fish. It's not something that goes away right after you stop polluting the atmosphere.