Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Can Puna grow, find ways to cater to tourism?
Originally posted by dakine
I have always thought what we need in East Hawaii is a high tech campus, such as a branch of Google, Apple, or (God forbid) MS. High tech, think programmers and designers, not manufacturing, pays very well, and requires intelligent people. And, once established I would imagine a co-partnership with the local schools and UH Hilo, and a strong computer science program. In other words a chance for a real higher education for local kids.

Must be a new year, as I'm agreeing a lot with dakine lately, although I don't think a tech campus is a workable idea (yet) for these reasons.
1) Hilo may not offer much appeal to a large number of often-urbanite technology workers. There are the odd ducks like dakine, myself, and others perhaps that value the nature/tech dichotomy, but probably not enough to sustain a whole campus.
2) Do you/we really want the thousands of people to move here needed to help create the kind of company/educational partnerships discussed?

Instead, it may be better to grow the change from the bottom up by directly supporting STEM (Science Technology Engineering Math) initiatives in our local schools. STEM classes can range from college-prep work like AP science or computer programming to vocational skills like engine repair and electrical for those getting a job right after high school.

Can help support STEM in the schools by:
- Asking staff about STEM classes and encouraging kids to enroll
- Speaking to representatives about funding for STEM initiatives
- Volunteering time to give lectures about your tech profession or interests
- Help run an after school club or program on robotics, computers, astronomy, geology, machining, circuits, CAD, digital animation, etc...

This helps provide the skills needed and diversifies the possible professions and local start-ups. If a major tech company then wants to build a campus and provide jobs to tap the local skill sets, they would be very welcome IMHO.

Sorry if a bit off topic gypsy69 - just know directly the benefits of a tech job that allows living here but working for mainland companies. Tourism is welcome and will continue to be a major part of the local economy IMO, just looking at other ways to bring in jobs and educational opportunities.
"Higher -higher -higher education
It's da healing of da nation"

Butch Helemano

Edited for iphone spellcheck fail
Born&Raised Hawai'i Island
Keep being unique.

Living on the side of creation.
Living on the side of creation.
directly supporting STEM (Science Technology Engineering Math) initiatives in our local schools

That way they'll be well-qualified to leave the island in search of employment.

If a major tech company then wants to build a campus and provide jobs to tap the local skill sets

Unlikely; there simply isn't enough infrastructure to justify the expense, nor would any "major tech company" limit themselves to a small talent pool.

Offer tourism options which cater to the needs of these tech companies; think retreat-style accomodations for shareholder meetings and startup projects -- both are more effective when the people are "out of pocket" long enough to get something done.

Offer infrastructure options that make remote workers useful; think fiber broadband and direct ITO-SFO flights.
...although I don't think a tech campus is a workable idea (yet) for these reasons.
1) Hilo may not offer much appeal to a large number of often-urbanite technology workers. There are the odd ducks like dakine, myself, and others perhaps that value the nature/tech dichotomy, but probably not enough to sustain a whole campus.
2) Do you/we really want the thousands of people to move here needed to help create the kind of company/educational partnerships discussed?

- - - - - - - - -

Maui already has a high tech initiative. It does quite well there.

http://mauitechpark.com/

http://htdc.org/incubation-techcenter-mrtc.html

Maui already has a high tech initiative. It does quite well there.

If any/all of these applied to the Big Island, a high tech initiative might work here too:

The Park is served by three telecommunications carriers, via two separate fiber cables. Both cables are terrestrially diverse for redundancy. Bandwidth and point-to-point connectivity up to OC-192 throughput is available on redundant connections.

Of all the counties in Hawaii, Maui County has the lowest property tax rates for commercial and industrial properties.

Essentially all of Maui County is located in the Enterprise Zone. This program allows for exemptions from Hawaii income and general excise tax for specific industries.

All of Maui County is located in a SBA HubZone. Small businesses with a principle office located in a HUBZone are provided preference in U.S. Government contracting opportunities.
So, if you want to increase tourism to Lower Puna I'll assume you mean attracting people with a little money to spend, as opposed to hoards of destitute freeloaders. If that is indeed the case, it might be helpful to ask yourself what those moneyed tourists are looking for in a destination. Do they want safety, cleanliness, convenience? Are there wholesome activities available that they don't mind paying for? Do they want genuine aloha freely given by people who understand the meaning of mutual self-interest? Kaleo's seems to have the formula. Oh, and by the way, anyone who builds a brazillion dollar surf break may want to see a return on the investment, and I'm not sure that a campground would fill the bill.

Un Mojado Sin Licencia
Un Mojado Sin Licencia
Tourist dollars would be more evenly spread among residents as these types of venues grow.

Sometimes I think this is exactly what "they" are trying to prevent -- keeping tourists (read: dollars) centralized in a hotel makes everything easier to "manage"...

[/quote]

I have a friend who has a bed and breakfast place.It's on a 5 acre ag lot in Kapoho and it has the proper SUP and commercial kitchen.His idea was to have 4 separate cottages and a breakfast pavilion.The friendly people at planning came up with the idea of the covered walkway to tie it together under one roof to make it legal.

http://www.kapohocottages.com/
[/quote]

That is exactly what is needed. Not to expensive to maintain, create. People would like the convenience of a place to stay and go and return to after a days tripping and mom not have to be concerned about feeding the family and yet do it on a budget that would afford them the free up currency to spread around. Perhaps some atv trails for all.
If places like that were spread around within day tripping it would be a great way to see all of the Island and still have a place to stay at the end.
I remember back in the early '50s driving from Chicago to Pennsylvania via turnpike that had rest stops along the way. just expand on that idea, throw if small market stops (fruit and veggies) along the way. People wouldn't be tied to a motels / hotels. Only talking of a few acres 10 12 small cabins. Your friend is on the right track. If visitors knew about this vacation style I'd bet it would spread quickly. And just think no commercial over kill, With so much open land using only small acreage in each area your open country life style would remain.

J.M.H.O.

rAy z

Don't be an sesquipedalian, Eschew Obfuscation.....

Sometimes, when I see the neighborhood children make small discoveries of their own, I wish I were a child.
With apologies to Dr. Seuss

Sometimes, when I see the neighborhood children make small discoveries of their own, I wish I were a child.

Just to nitpick..

Every time I go to Kaleo's I can't help but notice the tourists are seated to the left of the door and the "locals" are in the bar side. Take from that what you will but Aloha is not what comes to mind first.

That said I enjoy their tremendously overpriced food especially the pork wontons and filet! Also love the live music when it happens. Nice that we have such a spot in Pahoa. Also very akamai that they have a parking attendant to help people find a spot to park.

Also... Unless something is done about the SUP / commercial kitchen process I doubt puna will be seeing any development anytime soon! Gotta pick your battles and it's hard to look past all the rentals who are clearly already operating under the radar and skipping out on the transient accommodations tax already.
Rob, will there be, or is there a way to edit input after submitting?[Sad]