Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Effort to Remove Orchidland Directors
What if the County had gotten it right when they initially allowed these subdivisions? Paved roads, electricity, water, sidewalks, sewage, streetlights, and parks.

How many of us would be living here? I know I wouldn't. The properties would be unaffordable. We've inherited the bad along with the good.

Deal with it......(like adults?)
From the Orchidland web site:

"In the early 1900’s the Puna lands were used primarily for raising cattle. The land was marginal at best for farming and ranching, so in the late 1950’s the property owners decided to subdivide and sell off most of this land. The developer’s permits were issued for Orchidland Estates, Hawaiian Paradise Park, Hawaiian Acres, and several other subdivisions all at the same time. It should be noted that this “time” was before Hawaii became a state. By getting the permits under the rules of the Territory of Hawaii, the developers were able to avoid the more strict requirements of the U.S. Federal Government. We ended up with some huge subdivisions of ¼ to 3 acre parcels, agriculturally zoned, with private roads, and no utilities or services provided."

I'm not sure the "county" in anything that resembles it's current configuration had anything to do with paved roads, electricity, water, sidewalks, sewage, streetlights, or parks. These subdivisions exist because developers wanted to make money, and pre-statehood bureaucrats wanted tax revenue.
quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Rambler

If they try to pave 40th at Pohaku, the first heavy rain is going to rip it out. That section with the "river" is never going to stay very long.

If you are talking about the section that floods, they replaced it with concrete and it has been weathering the rushing water just fine.
Maybe if we removed the diversionn wall further up the river would be cut back to a creek....
It should be noted that this "time" was before Hawaii became a state.

It was, however, after Hawaii became a County, and the rules requiring "roads to be improved before final subdivision plat approval" were on the books several years before these subdivisions were created.

The rules were ignored, and here we are today.
quote:
Originally posted by terracore
quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Rambler
If they try to pave 40th at Pohaku, the first heavy rain is going to rip it out. That section with the "river" is never going to stay very long.
If you are talking about the section that floods, they replaced it with concrete and it has been weathering the rushing water just fine.
Drove this route today to check it out. The concrete intersection at Pohaku and 39th is still in great shape. Great investment IMHO.

Turning right from Pohaku onto 40th, the unpaved areas are in pretty good shape. Lots of fill has been added to the "wash-out" area of 40th so it lacks its normal riverbed or cobblestone "charm".

Overall pretty smooth sailing to Kurtistown, as long as you're accustomed to the unfinished chip-seal, to pavement, to chip-seal, to dirt, to pavement transitions. World of difference compared to recent travels in HA - best to bring a horse! (which is not a complaint - your roads, do as you like. Smile
Terracore . Orchidland HPP and Fernacres were all incorporated long after Hawaiian Acres . Only HA is incorporated before statehood . Orchidland is late 1960's . I don't say develop them landlocked so they could dump their opala and traffic up one single road that violates every condition of emergency access . It's a violation of safety . Here is the original non easement
Retain private ownership :
Open all subdivision roads for connectivity : specially the landlocked
Pay HA FTR for losing 83 miles if safety . No maintenance has ever been done
Open 8 to G paved for HA
Mandatory shoulders and sidewalks
Local traffic only .
No commercial or tourist traffic allowed
8' wide lanes means no commercial heavy trucks allowed
All signage paid and replaced
Free internet and cell phone access to all HA resident s not 8 road .
Eight houses are now 418 free use and no drivable roads for HA caused by this
Ainaloa has it's own deal unrelated to HA
Orchidland spent their money on lawsuits
All commercially zoned subdivisions provide their own connector roads
Orchidland and Hpp closed preexisting acres roads must open all road off Ainlaloa .
Sidney fuke must donate or eminent domain his 250 acres and pay . That's the

hapahaole
hapahaole
quote:
Originally posted by Hapahaole

All commercially zoned subdivisions provide their own connector roads
Orchidland and Hpp closed preexisting acres roads must open all road off Ainlaloa .
Sidney fuke must donate or eminent domain his 250 acres and pay . That's the

hapahaole

I am trying to understand what you mean when you say that Orchidland and HPP "closed preexisting acres roads" HPP is on the other side of the highway from Hawaiian ACres and shares no boundaries with it and has no ability to do anything with HA roads. What exactly are you saying here?
Hapahole, your posts are fascinating. Many of the words I recognize as English, others are of uncertain origin. The choice to eschew the classic subject-verb-object construction leaves me guessing who is being told to do what to whom. I would ask for a translation, but really, the guessing keeps me amused.

Aloha,
Rob L
Aloha,
Rob L
quote:
Originally posted by shockwave rider

I am trying to understand what you mean when you say that Orchidland and HPP "closed preexisting acres roads" HPP is on the other side of the highway from Hawaiian ACres and shares no boundaries with it and has no ability to do anything with HA roads. What exactly are you saying here?

I think they meant HA. I can think of only one place the two subdivisions intersect over by Ola'a.