Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ohia trees are dying rapidly, Why?
Still seeing hundreds if not thousands of our rain forest ohia trees dying every few months. Haven't noticed any type of new growth on any of the previously dead ohia for years now either.
Wondering if Puna is going to lose most if not all of this type of tree like we lost the wili wili.
So sad to watch them continue to die now for 5 years or more, does not look like the same kind of natural die-offs we have had in the past. With The albezia trees really doing well in these parts being ignored the same way as the dying ohia, it won't be long till parts of Puna gets its rain forest canopy back say 10-20 years.
Mystery of ohia deaths solved?

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/news/loc...ths-solved
Obie - I saw that article and immediately thought of gypsy69 and the never-ending attempts to blame the geothermal plant for the dying ohia...
Leilanidude, I thought of another when I read the article (dam fungus).

What is truly sad is the response I received from so many when I first called this ohia problem in about 5 years ago. Dlnr was worthless and never even came out to see. The mayors office was worthless as some guy named Kevin had no clue to what I was complaining about but assured me it was not caused by geothermal. I first called J.B Friday back in 2010 and he told me (over the phone) it could not be a disease or the bore beetle because these things have never killed ohia this large before. He also said he wouldn't be able to come out and take pictures for at least another year because he had no students or classes around this subject for some time. Well I called him back a year later and begged a bit, he did finally come out to see for himself in 2012. He was the only one to come out to take a look or sample of these dying trees. Our states divisions that are set up to help protect our forests really failed big time.
They still don't know where this started or how it spreads, yet I told many that the die-off started around geothermal poihiki plant about 5 years ago. After watching this spread like a wild fire and seeing next to no response by those who were in positions to do something, I lost hope. I even was told not to bring in samples to the hilo office because it would be a waste of time and nothing would be found. I asked for pictures to be taken every 3 months so maybe we could identify the spreading, helco,geothermal, mayor,dlnr, and forest division all told me they had no funds. Yet these helco flights take place every 3 months to check their lines. I asked if green harvest was using agent orange or some kind of poison, because they spent days in this area that first started showing this die-off.
Anyway our county and state seemed worthless in my eyes and only wanted to pass the problem down to some other division. J.B Friday deserves the work or study money for the next 20 years because he did show up and follow up, thank you. I still have notes taken from 5 years ago that shows how or where these trees first started dying, maybe they could be useful now years later?. Leilanidude what did you do about this? That's right nothing because you don't care its not your HOME, or where you come from to give a rats a--.
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

Leilanidude I thought of your mother when I read the article (dam fungus).

What is truly sad is the response I received from so many when I first called this ohia problem in about 5 years ago. Dlnr was worthless and never even came out to see. The mayors office was worthless as some guy named Kevin had no clue to what I was complaining about but assured me it was not caused by geothermal. I first called J.B Friday back in 2010 and he told me (over the phone) it could not be a disease or the bore beetle because these things have never killed ohia this large before. He also said he wouldn't be able to come out and take pictures for at least another year because he had no students or classes around this subject for some time. Well I called him back a year later and begged a bit, he did finally come out to see for himself in 2012. He was the only one to come out to take a look or sample of these dying trees. Our states divisions that are set up to help protect our forests really failed big time.
They still don't know where this started or how it spreads, yet I told many that the die-off started around geothermal poihiki plant about 5 years ago. After watching this spread like a wild fire and seeing next to no response by those who were in positions to do something, I lost hope. I even was told not to bring in samples to the hilo office because it would be a waste of time and nothing would be found. I asked for pictures to be taken every 3 months so maybe we could identify the spreading, helco,geothermal, mayor,dlnr, and forest division all told me they had no funds. Yet these helco flights take place every 3 months to check their lines. I asked if green harvest was using agent orange or some kind of poison, because they spent days in this area that first started showing this die-off.
Anyway our county and state seemed worthless in my eyes and only wanted to pass the problem down to some other division. J.B Friday deserves the work or study money for the next 20 years because he did show up and follow up, thank you. I still have notes taken from 5 years ago that shows how or where these trees first started dying, maybe they could be useful now years later?. Leilanidude what did you do about this? That's right nothing because you don't care its not your HOME, or where you come from to give a rats a--.

You are a real piece of work. I hope you read this back over and realize how ashamed you should be of yourself. This would sure make your kids proud, huh?
Not so fast guys....

The world is full of fungi, bacteria, pollutants etc... When a species becomes weakened, that's when they fall prey not when they are strong and supported in their environment.

Gypsy may be 100% on target. Combine the fracking, vog, papaya pesticide spraying and God knows what else to the table and I don't know if the Ohia has an immune system but basically the plant could have been weakened to the point becoming susceptible to this fungus. If only one of the contributing factors was left out, let's say the fracking, perhaps the Ohias would still be alive?

Leilanidude you have made it crystal clear you are an advocate of geothermal. That's great however the plant we speak of is in a very bad location per our previous civil defense administrator who became mayor as well as geothermal experts from all over the world.

Please keep your shame where it belongs and not hurl insults to an honest man as gypsy69.
"fracking" ??? Are you one of those that believe in repeating a lie often enough, so that others believe it to be true?

Punatic007 - Did you read the "honest man" gypsy69's 1st line? Who hurled the insult?

You never answered the question before, so I will ask you again. Did you buy your property before geothermal existed, or after?

Leilanidude, I apologize for my rant and my drumming of geothermal. The die-off looked very much like a poisoning to the trees. My kids brush their teeth with these dead leaves in our catchment every morning so I was very concerned. Geothermal is our closest neighbor who has been known to poison large ohia's in the past with accidents, blow outs, and planned releases over my neighborhood. Sorry to offend you and your clean green Ormat owned geothermal, keep on driving your gas guzzler. Our environment and aina is here just for you, it keeps the need for more drilling too. Win-win.
In the meantime they believe the ohia deaths are caused by a fungus.

Next they need to find out what is causing the fungus.

"These and other questions will be the focus of research for years to come, Friday said."
“I think, in the long term, we’re going to be working on this project for the next 20 years,” he said. “It’s like we’ve opened up this big box, this huge, complicated problem.”

Could be the fungus is caused by man's mismanagement of the rain-forest.We have allowed invasive plants and species to crowd out the native ohias.Perhaps Leilani shouldn't have been built in a rain-forest .Could be Gypsy's cesspool that's the cause.

Maybe even marijuana smoke is killing the ohia.
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

"fracking" ??? Are you one of those that believe in repeating a lie often enough, so that others believe it to be true?

Punatic007 - Did you read the "honest man" gypsy69's 1st line? Who hurled the insult?

You never answered the question before, so I will ask you again. Did you buy your property before geothermal existed, or after?

If you are referring to me, I don't live in the Leilani area. I purchased land in Puna 29 years ago.

Some of us just do the right thing and I choose to support those who are adversely affected by heavy industry in a residential area. I have spoken in length about this subject with personal friends, acquaintances and business associates who have been affected. It's been a hot topic for decades, hard to avoid. Recently a close friend, UH professor moved out of state, one of the contributing factors was projected geothermal new drilling sites being too close to their property. Another neighbor, a retired MD/Phd, a brilliant highly successful and well known global humanitarian says it's toxic and we all need to fight to keep it out of residential areas. At least a 10 mile buffer zone. I could fill pages of threads recalling all the conversations with educated level headed folk I've spoken with who consider geothermal heavy industry in Puna as a threat to human and environmental health.

Then here you are Leilanidude with a few others on Punaweb daily writing posts about how great and 100% safe it is. Come on, how calloused and insensitive can you be?