Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Relocating to Puna
We just bought 30 acres on N. Glenwood Rd. We are very excited and are coming to Puna for the month of October to scout the land, see where the wind blows the water flows, etc.... and decide where to build a house. We need to find a building contractor We need to buy a used tractor mostly for cutting grass but would like to be able to have attachments to build a road if possible.... lastly, would love to meet new friends and neighbors in the area.
Mahalo.

May you live in interesting times.
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Hi, Where is N. Glenwood Rd? We're hoping to visit in October to check out the subdivisions and everything else. We've managed to get answers to most of our questions, a lot of which had to do with the cost of this and that. The one thing we still don't know is how car registration costs compare to California. We have figured out that most things cost more, the exceptions being homes and property tax. Sales tax is a much lower percentage, but food and services are taxed and that's not the case in our state. Of course, it's almost impossible to find out about jobs from a distance. Good luck with building your house.

N. Glenwood Rd is between Mt. View and Volcano on highway 11 at about mile marker 19. It is a great area, located around 2500 ft. elevation, of rural sites from one to 90 acres! We leased half a house in Mt. View 5 or so miles away from our prooperty to give us a base during the comings and goings of building our home.

I registerd a car last month. It was much cheaper than in CA. We spent a month on island in June and found that things weren't much of any more expensive than in Southern California, with real estate cheaper, groceries the same and gas only about 10 or 20 cents more a gallon. The presence of Costco, Home Depot, Lowes and Walmart in Kona seem to have stabilized and reduced prices because of their mass inventories. Maybe we missed something but everyday items seem readily available and within 10 per cent of the California price. My guess is that it is the big ticket items that will be more pricey: cars, furniture, appliances, etc....

Have a wonderful visit in October. consider getting the map books at Borders for both east and west Hawaii. Can't think of the proper name but they are 8.5 x 11 in size and very comprehensive. Every street and subdivision is listed. Then you drive drive drive and get a feel for everywhere. We found that elevation was more important than most anything else for us; it determined wind, rain, sunshine, humidity and temperature. Below 1000 ft is hot HOT HOT... 1200 TO 1500 seemed ideal and up to 2500 was really nice. 3500 started to be both remote and cold in the evenings plus way too wet.

Enough already. That's my 2 cents... or maybe six dollars worth. Have a wonderful adventure on the island. Maybe we'll run into each other! We are there all of October.
Aloha!

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Thanks for the information. I'll be sure to get the map books you mentioned. Interesting about elevation determining climate. I'm personally not a lover of really hot weather. I've heard that this year is hotter than usual on the east side because there is far less rain than usual and that the Kona side got the rain. Anyway, we're looking forward to our visit and will take your advice and do a lot of driving around. Good luck with building your home. It sounds like a nice location and it's great you have so much land. Again, thanks very much for the info.

We have had a chance to get more into the land... what a wonder! Beautiful rolling landscape with forested breaks through meadows and pastures. We've only seen about a third of the land so far but it is inspiring. We bought a tractor yesterday so we can mow this four to five foot grass and lay out a path for a road and locate a homesite. We have had the pleasure of meeting some wonderful people who will be new friends and neighbors. Life is GOOD!

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
A new tractor! How fun. It sounds like, from other posts, that this is also your first tractor experience. I want to caution you on a point or two, having logged many hours on a farm tractor in field and forest.

High grass: can contain obstacles which can damage your equipment not to mention cause injury. You need to get to know your land and I advise proceeding with a good degree of caution. If the land has been farmed in the past then any amount of old fence posts and wire, old machinery, rocks and debris can be discovered under that grass. High grass can also hide pukas.

As romantic and adventursome as farming can be it is also one of the most dangerous occupations.

Not trying to be alarmist, just concerned that your first cruise over your fields is pleasant.

Best wishes.

Chairman, Punaweb Committee, MSPA
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Hey Rob!! We met just a few days ago. We are currently stuck in Kona with a car problem, waiting for a shop to open and get it repaired. I have spent worse unplanned weekends!!

We ended up speaking at length with your friend Wylee and he gave some excellent informationl. After careful assessment and visits to the three major tractor firms in Hilo, we went with New Holland. They are certainly looking to break into the "new market" of the transplant land buyer (instead of the traditional farmer) for their tractor options. They were most helpful.

We have had good and considerate warnings from many now regarding our first uses of the tractor. Bacon Universal, where we bought the tractor, will deliver it this next week and it comes with several hours "education" r/t safe use and maint. of the tractor.

I also have several new neighbors who have offered to help us get started; one is laying in the road. We plan on walking in front of the tractor for the first passes with a large walking stick and checking for ravines, etc.... but also have a 4 WD vehicle to back-up any towing needs.

We will indeed do our best to be careful. Thanks for all your time and concern. It was great meeting you. We are carefully considering all the information we have gathered r/t building materials and are factoring in costs of archetecture, drafting and a general contractor. Wish us luck!! Mahalo.... Pam

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Well, we have made it. We are in Mt View in a rental and the roadrunner got installed today. The Glenwood Property is lovely as ever; hubby has begun with a weed whacker and chain saw to put an entry in where we want the road and the new tractor will be delivered on Tuesday. Bacon Universal has been wonderful with the New Hollant tractor line. They are providing not only delivery but an "instructor" to see that hubby, our hired hand and I are all safe operating the tractor effectively.

Yesterday we bagan the roadside clearing and it poured rain. We worked in the wet for two hours until we were just soaked to the bone and tired. How wonderful to be doing these things in our own wonderland.

More houseplans have surfaced and our original choice is now in question. We are working to find a builder and ask questions. Time is moving fast and we are enjoying the delight of the big island.

If anyone has the chance to visit we are on N. Glenwood Road, right hand side (east) about 0.6 mi from the highway 11. Aloha!

Smile Pam

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Just more story... on Glenwood we have weed whacked about 300 feet of road frontage by hand. Tractor is late being delivered; just a lesson in island time. We found some lovely and unexpected flowering plants in the tall grasses... antheriums in a sweet pocket near what will be our driveway entrance and another spot with huge hanging trumpet flowers. Every day is a new little bit of joy here... We have dug fence posts and discovered that we have soil from heaven. With it raining today we will wait to set the posts. A great excuse for lazing away the morning.....Just another lovely day in PARADISE!!

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Aloha Pam,

I haven't seen ay new updates on your N. Glenwood property lately. How are things going? Any good adventures? Don't keep us in the dark!

David D