Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Relocating to Puna
Nate, contact me off post (pslamont@yahoo.com), Maybe I have some ideas for you...

May you live in interesting times.
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Hi Pam,
Would it be okay for me to...

David D

"Daddy...we cant go to Hawaii for Christmas cuz' the house there doesn't have a chimney and Santa only comes down the chimney with toys".... a quote from my 4 year old daughter.
Happy Holidays and I hope you are all well and safe.
Nate
Any of my wonderful new hawaiian friends is welcome to emaiil me anytime...

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Just got an email from my wonderful new neighbor on N. Glenwood Rd. (I am in So Calif for a few more days). "There were 10 cute baby pigs and a couple mama's in your orchard this morning. It was so fun to see." Holy s%*t. I wonder if I have any trees left or if they knocked down all the new ones? Yikes! Now I really can't wait to get back and check it all out.
By the way, it is Freezing Cold here in Riverside, CA. I have had a bloody nose from the dry air and the skin on my legs is like scales. I can't wait to get back to the Big Island! How quickly we adapt to that lovely new home!!!!1

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Have returned to the Big Island. Flew in last night, but dark and pouring rain sent me straignt to my little abode, a shower and sleep. Late this morning I ventured out to the land....

The orchard has been neglected all week. Several trees appear to be in shock, while most are standing tall and happy. Hard to figure that one out. The ground is moist. I will have to just add a lot of potting soil to the sad ones or dig them up and pot them for care on my porch. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

I am renewed about going forward however and plan a full week starting Monday with fencing, planting, and maybe answering an as I saw for a couple goats. The there is the shelter building; that HAS to commence this week too. The new year is upon us and there is much to be done.

This all having bneen said, it was totally refreshing to just walk down my wonderful road this afternoon and see this land that has so captured my heart. The air is warm. The sky is blue with powder puffs of clouds floating around for this afternoon's showers. The light is bright and it all makes me feel alive. I LOVE THIS ISLAND!

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Always great to get back - 11 more days for us..
Regarding the 'sick' plants, maybe a call to the nursey could get you a hint?

Ninole Resident
I'm definitely BAAAACCKKKKKKK!!!! The trees have now been deep watered. Rain up here has been daily but only sprinkles and the roots seem to have dried on many. The trees are still alive, however, and I owe special thanks to my wonderful new neighbors Karen and Wendell (again). I trapsed to their house and back over and over with 3 gallon jugs until I had watered all 30 trees and my 6 mandevillea as well. I met a new friend today, Madampele from a internet ad, and her daughter. They are visiting the big island, came and saw the land, helped water the trees, shared a wonderful dinner and lots of stories and laughter. Lots of ALOHA in the day today.

Also, we "4 wheeled" in my jeep deeper into the property and i saw my first feral pigs. Wow, the one that got my attention was B I G . We were at least 50 yards away and stayed that far away. It was exciting though. Things here are just soooo coool. Tomorrow is another day of adventure in paradise!!!

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
So Glad your back on the farm Pam. The sooner you take your shoes off and run your "feeties" in the mud the sooner you will feel at home. I hope that the trees are doing better now that they have some water on them. Home Depot has a guarentee for all it's plants and trees so if you lose one you can get a replacement. I feel that HPM has to be sweating the whole "Depot" thing and I am going to "stoke" the fire. Does anyone know if "Home Depot" accepts online orders then they let you pick it up at the store? I need "cinder blocks" !!!!! Our "guest house"...ooops I mean "Farm hand dwelling" (Mr. permit office man). I'm thinking either a cinder block structure with a trussed roof or an "A frame" swiss chalet type structure. Anyways, as usual I'm always dreaming of Hawaii and I wish you all the best this new year.
Nate.
Not sure about online orders for HD, but should be no problem doing a phone order for pickup at store. What I've done in past (Kona HD) is phone in order, HD then faxes me a copy of the order and their form for credit card. Pretty easy process.
David

Ninole Resident