Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Relocating to Puna
Hauling water is back breaking work and I have broken. I am off to buy a 500 gallon water tank today. We will build a shed and put on a roof system to catch water and drain into the tank, using it to water the orchard. Deep watering is a must for these new plants and I will loose hundreds of dollars worth of trees if I don't do something. Still, it's a fun adventure, so off to spend today. Contact me if you need to know where to buy water tanks on the East side. Friends researched this thoroughly and we seem to have found a great deal.

Smile Just another day in paradise...

May you live in interesting times.
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Pam
I'd definitely appreciate any info you can share re water tanks etc, especially where and price. I'll be needing a tank, perhaps 500 gallon in near future for my shed catchment. You should have my email if you prefer to send directly.
Mahalo
David

Ninole Resident
http://www.chemtainerofhawaii.com/contact.aspx

For all to see, ChemTainer of Hawaii has been great, but...

I only know of them on the Hilo side in Shipman Park.

Their prices on their web page are lower than if you show up in person; you need to phone them and talk web prices or even wholesale before you go.

They are only open till 3:30 and they are OUT of there at 3:30 so plan an early visit.

They have an excellent line, their staff is most friendly and helpful and they put the inlet and outlet fittings in for you at no charge; you just buy the fittings. They will walk you thru it.

Good Luck everyone!

Pam

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
500 gallons seems kinda small to me ?? I'm looking for like 8K or 10K gallon. I guess they are "food grade" if they are selling them for catchment? I saw their website and they have septic too which is cool. Are you going to bury the tank or just stick it behind the shed ??
This tank is for the orchard, and that is only temporary. In a few months, once the trees are well established I don't see me watering them at all. The tank will go on a platform above ground about 3 feet to allow me to use gravity feed to the whole orchard. I have over 350 ft of hose!! Once we build a barn, the tank will go at the barn for watering animals and use there. It will also be housed above ground; probably even higher up for safety from animal interference. 500 gallons is fine for my use in these endeavors... remember it rains most days here so even if it is light sprinkles, a chacment from the roof will keep that tank full.

For the house we will have a minimum of 5000 gallons, and possibly even 10,000. That will also be above ground. We will build a lattice structure around it with good clearance for access and maintenance but other thant he access gate, the lattice will probably be a growing trellis for some vine or flower....

The 500 gllaons was small enough for me to transport myself in a small trailer, and even with water in it, get it to the land (albeit at 8 lbs a gallon, not full for transport!!).

On a lighter note, today I have received a reprieve. It has been pouring up on N. Glenwood for hours and hours. Trees are getting a good deep watering and I don';t have to move that tank with water today. Yaaaayyyyyyy....

Just getting the oil changed in the car took 2 hours. things do not happen fast here. Errands easily tie up 4 hours a day for me, with a 3 year old tagging along. Fortunately for me, it's 2 in the afterniin, it's pouring, he's asleep so i get to catch up on email, chatting, a hot shower and laundry. Do I know how to have a good time or what??:???

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Pam,
I saw the coolest thing for you. It was a brass faucet that you can hook up to your water tank and turn one hose outlet into four and it just screws in like a hose. This might help you in that you can create four "zones" for watering and you can control the flow to all of the hoses down to a drip. It was $13 so it makes sense in the long run if thats the direction your going as far as irrigation is concerned.
Neat idea, but I went another direction. Because the orchard is about 500 feet in length the your idea doesn't quite work. I have incorporated a mild slant on that idea already though. I have 75 foot lengths of hose connected end to end. At each connection, I have a "y" connector. The continuing hose is on one nipple and the other is unconnected with the valve closed . Each of these has a switch to open and close the unused part. I hook up a short spiral hose and open the valve to water whatever trees I am working on at the time. Anyway, thanks for your good ideas!!!

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Hi Pam,

I‘ve read what you have posted about your trees. Your laying a hose out is a pretty good way to take care of things on a short-term basis. You really should consider installining a permanent errigation system. Even though your annual rainfall may appear to be enough for your trees to thrive, dry periods may cause havoc.
You might want to consider trenching and laying ¾” PVC piping to your trees and having a drip system to each tree. I do that myself. I have 30 fruit trees in my “Gentleman’s” Orchard.
Toro makes a great inline drip tubing. I use the ¼” tubing with ½ gallon emitters about every 6”. I lay the tubing around the tree’s drip line. If the trees are young lay the tubing about 2 feet out and all the way around.
Another suggestion would be to have a cut-off valve (a Ball Valve works great) at different points to control water flow to different points within the irrigation system and also have a valve that stops all flow to the orchard. I found that out the hard way! But that’s a totally different story.

On a different line. I have made my plans to be back on the Big Island on May 10th thru the 24th. My wife will join me on the 18th. Maybe we can come and visit with you and see that magical land on North Glenwood Road!

David D

David: I have talked to neighbors about watering. They have all had the same thing to say; once the trees are established ( a couple months) the rainfall is all that is needed because the ground stays moist all the time. One neighbor even has a citrus orchard and it does well. I will keep your thoughts in mind though if it doesn't work out that way; thanks for the great ideas. I always love good input.

As for May, I certainly hope you two come visit. It is always fun to share what we are doing. We all learn from one another and whenever someone comes out to see my place I learn more than I teach.... gotta love the communal spirit.

Anyway, thanks again for your ideas. It will be fun to meet you and the wife. Smile Pam

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Hello Pam,

Just finished reading all the posts and despite knowing of your project for awhile, I thoroughly enjoyed your entries and the responses. I hope that you, somewhere down the road, write a book of your adventures.....it will be a best-seller, I am sure! Anyway, I'll check in regularly and hopefully be able to add some comments. Mahalo!