Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT groundbreaking - live
just turn the mountain around so that TMT is only visible from Puna

And if that doesn't work, just spray paint all of the observatories the color of the Golden Gate Bridge. Their color will then blend into the mountain top, and people will forget they're up there.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

JMO here. This TMT project really should not be happening on our island at all, or in this state period. This is the aloha state of Hawaii, we have tourists by the millions who spend millions to walk on our prestigious beaches and breath our fresh warm tropical air. Our wonderful people of this aina work very hard catering to this tourism industry. They sacrifice much of everything that is important to them to share this beautiful place with these visitors. Why should this thirty meter telescope be built near the summit of maunakea? How does this help tourism, or our keiki of tomorrow? Why do the Canadians, japanese, and many of the worlds others want to build this godzilla here? This would and could alter or change much of maunakea protectors past, present, and future.
Nature, Culture, and our islands aloha spirit VS big business, space, war, money, and D.C.

Why here? Because it is the best place in the world for it. We should be so lucky that Hawaii should be associated with world class astronomy. It boggles the mind that anyone would strive to limit Hawaii only to tourism.

"This Godzilla"? Don't know what to say to that. I bet there were people who felt the same about the Pantheon.

It would help tourism and our keiki by being what it is: the greatest telescope in the world, and proof that Hawaii is about more than tourism and dancers doing fake hula in plastic grass skirts and coconut shell bras.

The world will judge us if we flub this. If we squander this golden opportunity we will be an object of ridicule among the progressive and forward thinking part of the world's population. Why would we want that for our keiki?
If i've learned one thing on punaweb it's that some people just aren't worth taking the effort to converse with and in general if you want to influence people's decision making start when they are children.
I thought the Pantheon appropriate because it is a big dome with a hole in the middle that lets light in. Also it is a marvelous wonder of the world and a shining example of what man can do.
Given all the name calling here lately, much of the thinking seems childish enough to still influence. There is hope yet methinks.

Originally posted by MarkP
I bet there were people who felt the same about the Pantheon.

Wasn't the Pantheon dedicated to all the gods, of which the Roman people fretted about being judged by? Hmm... Perhaps the Parthenon would be more appropriate being dedicated to Athena the goddess of wisdom and an enduring symbol of western civilization.

The Parthenon is in Greece, or is it Grease 2? I can't keep my movies straight. But when I make mistakes, I use lots of salt, 'cuz salt makes m'steaks taste great. Snacktime!

(sorry - technical glitch - post deleted and reposted.)
Originally posted by MarkP
I thought the Pantheon appropriate because it is a big dome with a hole in the middle that lets light in. Also it is a marvelous wonder of the world and a shining example of what man can do.

As the world's largest unreinforced concrete dome that has lasted for nearly 2000 years, it is all you said and more. However, the word Pantheon itself means "all the gods" and the building was a Roman temple originally and a Catholic church today.

I wonder what people would think if we removed everything religious and put a large telescope in there? Wink
so how's the new age-ish stone age throwback / return to an "indigenous people's" monarchy kingdom (what exactly is an indigenous person?)/ romanticized pseudo-spirituality / protestor activist identity crisis / "we are Mauna Kea" bandwagon / hissy fit fantasy going? things settling down after exploiting the Hula festivities for attention?
Yeah, nothing like exploiting a Hawaiian cultural event with Hawaiian cultural issues......

Maybe they should ban the Hula altogether like the Missionaries did, or at least make the savages wear lab coats.

[Wink]
go get em Snorkle, heroic defender of the "noble savage" fantasy ideal.

your hero goggles might be clouding your vision. you may be surprised to realize not all performers / creative types are so thrilled to have their art hijacked by a political or activist agenda.
prejudicial intolerance, seriously, coming from Mr. Global Segregation? lol is it because i typed the phrase "noble savage"? if so, please look it up to understand. dakine... i must say, you are a curiously odd piece of work.