Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Relocating to Puna
Thanks Nate! You are a sweetie and it is always a pleasure helping someone out. Now if we can just keep those trees growing till you return!!

On another note, I scored some used tile from the Waikaloa Firehouse Museum and we put it to great use. We bought some brightly colored tiles, mixed it all together in patterns of both whle and broken tile and did the kitchen counters in the cabin. Turned out great! it's an eclectic collection of 'dis and 'dat. Hubby got it all grouted this afternoon (I knew having him over here from the mainland for a month would be helpful somehow...)and it is looking grand. We have tons more finish work to do in there but step by step things are coming together. We have lots of tile leftover and will be using it on the surfaces in the composting toilet system that is being designed and built. Design courtesy of a new friend from Fern Acres who has one up and running really effectively. I just LOVE this primitive stuff, and recycling stuff, and sharing stuff, and helping one another. It is just so much fun.

Also he garden is incredible. The peas/snowpeas and beans are all coming up gangbusters as is the squash. I have one plant of some kind of long stringy looking peppers that is producing a zillion pepper pods.... I wonder what the heck i planted? Who knows.. but it's all good. Lettuce is finally breaking ground, squash is booming, corn is rising and cucumbers are getting ready to cucumber I think. It's all fun in deed.

The fruit trees are looking good. We know there won't be any appreciable fruit for a few years yet but it's nice to see bright leaves and new growth. Great signs.

The rain has us bogged down in the pastures. That means if things remain the same for another week, you need to wear your boots to the BBQ. Remember to email me directly for information and directions for June 18th. It's a Pot Luck. It's to meet net friends and new neighbors and celebrate the successes as well as laugh at the failures of this adventure so far. I know I am having a ball and lots of you are too.

Smile Pam

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
read today's Hilo Hawaii Tribune June 10th about Glenwood Rd.
did Chris put in the catchment tank ??
Saw the article. Yikes!! Glad the operation is shut down. The place has a beautiful set of homes and buildings with a giant horse corral out front. Everything seems to have been confiscated... no trucks, no horses, no farm equipment to be seen.

For those of you who don't know, a large crystal meth laboratory aka ICE was raided and shut down by the FBI about a mile further up N. Gelnwood Rd from us. Guess the nighttime traffic will slow way down!

As for the cachment, Chris build the deck extension but Home depot is out of rain gutters and the Ace Hardware Store wanted $9.50 for a $4 part... so I am waiting. Home depot is also out of cement and hollow tile so finishing the BBQ for next Saturday's party will be a challenge. Found a place in Hilo that was closed today for King K day, so will go back on Monday. Whew.... so much to do. It's never ending but so fun!

Pam

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Wow, city girl has gone another step country. Yesterday we adopted five chickens! Free range, they have been let loose in the orchard pasture where they have found tons of turned up earth, earth worms, slugs, bugs and various other chicken-delights. We feed them a little scratch morning and evening and they are loving it. Yayyyyyyy

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
since I will be moving to Puna hopefully by fall i have enjoyed reading your adventure in paradise. Have to sell home here first. Love puna used to live in Orchidland and cant wait to get back

Hi Pam,
I'm new to this forum. Just thought I'd jump in here to let you know we appreciate you sharing your adventures with us. Got a house myself in Hawaiian Shores. We'll spend a month there this summer so hopefully we can meet. Plan to make the final move in 3 years after my younger son graduates from high school.In the meantime my sister Pam is currently living in the Hawaiian Shores house as our caretaker. Based on the nature of your posts and obvious aloha spirit, my feeling is she'd enjoy hooking up with you sometime. Interesting lady: she's an out-of-work zoologist (studied wolves in the wild for many years) with a lot of experience in ecological consulting, watershed stuff, although I have no idea what any of it means Smile Looks like she's going in a different rather interesting direction now that she's in Hawaii - future talk-story topic no doubt. Anyway, let me know if you're interested in meeting my baby sis and I'd be happy to hook you up.
Aloha - Tim

Tim
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
Tim,
ABSOLUTELY YES. We are having a BBQ on Saturday for lots of net friends to meet . If she is brave, have her jump right in and email me pslamont@yahoo.com. If she is more modest, have her email me anyway and she can come by at a more quiet time.

Smile Pam

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Aloha Pam,
Thanks so much for inviting Pam to your BBQ. Hopefully she's replied to you by now. If not, I'm sure it's because she's so busy these days. Either way I'm sure you'll hear from her. As I mentioned, my wife, Kurumi, and I will be there mid-July so hopefully we can hook up. Look forward to seeing the fruits of your hard work!
Aloha!

Tim
Tim

A superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions--Confucius
M A H A L O to everyone who joined us at the Lamont Bash. We had such GREAT food, contributed by everyone, and cameraderie amongst such new friends was a delight to witness. Sitting back and watching, I saw smiles, laughter and serious instruction.... always sharing.

I received a patch of new taro plants for my garden and about 100 hugs and smiles...

Mother Nature decided to bless us and we had a lovely, warm, sunny day without one lick of rain... not even a sprinkle. Wow.

Made my first walk out to the lower 20...usually take the jeep or trctor. We had fun wandering and exploring. It was a new vision of the land for me.

Not much more to tell... old friemds, new friends, lots of in progress projects to show and got some great ideas from you all.

Again Mahalo for your good spirits, your good cheer and your great food!!!

Pam

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
The Hitch Hiker is one of my ranch hands. He doesn't have a car. I originally met him when he was carrying a 5 gallon propane tank in the pouring rain walking up the 11. Turns out he was helping out a disabled neighbor. She had run out of propane. He acutally walked and hitched from Eden Roc to the Hirano store to do this for her; probasbly over 5 miles each way. Couldn't leave him hauling that heavy tank in the rain that day.. just didn't have the heart to do it. We met a few times later at the store and such. I eventually hired him part time to work on the ranch.

"Oh Crap, She's up!"