Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to grow on no soil/lava rock?
I have blue rock that i'm planning on putting combination of topsoil/cinder into beds to grow edibles/flowers....this will be a big project i'm assuming

any recommendations from any gardeners on what combination of soil/cinder would work and what size cinder is the most effective?

any other soil/treatment advise would be kindly appreciated.

noel

You will probably need to amend the soil/cinder for pH with agricultural lime. Most of my friends growing in that environment are usig raised beds. Good Luck!!

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
thanks for the input pam, do you know what ratio of lime to soil mixture or is it pretty much an intuition thing?

noel

at best you should have the soil pH tested. The university will provide this service. You will have to check out the dept of agriculture site and it tells you where to get the testing done. Once you have it done once, you can ride by the seat of your pants.

That having been said, I just followed instructions on the bag of ag lime and experimented. I like to try things for myself.

Good luck. Smile Pam

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Yipes! Raised beds re the best. That is what I have to do unless you can afford a greenhouse. Ive tried peppers which will grow to a point bout quarter of size and then of course the bugs take care of rest. Basil grow very well along with oregano, cilantro and wow! Cherry tomatoes will take off big time! My efforts with green beens were good for a least one producing period. Of course Bugs would destroy leaves. Regular tomatoes will grow then get attacked by bugs and never produce a red ripe product. BUGS of course. I am growing a pumpkin of all things. ONE survived the growing period as BUGS attacked the rest. Watermelon will grow as I have one that survived so far. Problem is the vines atrophy from Im guessing BUGS! Papya will grow, lemon tree will take off, Navel oprange will have a chance, guava will have a chance although in higher elevations may be difficult. Lettuce will grow but then those darn bugs! Bottomline RAISED BEDS, or greenhouse.

frank battaglia