Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We Support TMT - Please sign the petition
quote:
Originally posted by gypsy69

Thank you Opihikao, going to go enjoy the great outdoors the rest of this beautiful day.

Growing up here, I have grown up to respect Maunakea and her Hawaiian people. I still believe in Maunakea, she does help prevent large storms, she does offer life and happiness to many.

Mahalo, gypsy. Enjoy!

The beauty of Mauna Kea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3OTJKUosEI

PaulW, mahalo, support with conditions. It is our kuleana to find balance, and encourage all parties to provide what has been, and will be promised. Aloha to you.

JMO.

ETA: Edited for proper grammar.
A few concerns here.
Judge Hara in 2007 put a halt to construction or building on top of maunakea, I thought?

This thirty meter telescope is bigger than all the other 13 currently atop maunakea combined.

Also thought Hawaii had a bug on the endangerd species list that lived on top of maunakea?

Military wants to build two landing pads for high altitude test flights in this same area?

Promises to return the land back to its original state has been ignored?

If this moonball telescope is built, many Hawaiians will end their prayers with the words they are sorry for not protecting her?.

The dozing of the site, the building of the project, the added workers and visitors vehicles daily will have environmental impacts to an already sensitive area?

Hawaiians and locals need these type of jobs, so how many hawaiians or locals currently work atop maunakea within the observatory community?

A few recent hawaiian burial finds were in this area that is to have the thirty meter scope built?

Environmental studies for the 13 observatories atop maunakea currently are showing negative impacts? What can be expected by adding 13 more all in one?

Sorry enough is enough, jmo's.

gypsy - have you attended any of the meetings over the last seven years held to discuss concerns between the local community and the TMT?

If not, why are you asking these questions now and of all places, punaweb?

There comes a point when a process ends. You have had several years to bring up your concerns, but suddenly there's an outburst of questions from you.

BTW, a tip. When you make extraordinary claims, they require extraordinary evidence. I have yet to see you even use ordinary evidence when making claims or asking questions about something you think is happening. It makes your posts come across as credulous.

HTH.
Perfect word Tom ...

Gypsy, its like you are simply reading from the brochure of choice.

Tomk, good morning to you.
You bring up some valid points about my computer or personal etiquette. Never believed in too late or bad luck, especially when dealing with things of great importance.

I can still remember the beauty of maunakea from hapuna beach before most of the observatories were built, maybe had two? The land scape atop maunakea today has really taken a whole new look. Before the hapuna prince hotel was built they said you would not see it, or very little of it from the beach itself? Now look they practically own hapuna and the state gouges all other visitors to even see the beach. Still makes me sick to my stomach this day when I see the hotel over looking hapuna, even worst when I see the bill for a burger and fries at their restaurant.

Anyway this 18 story telescope will probably be built in a manmade hole or lowspot in hopes to keep a lower profile, yet Canada might be able to still see it?.

Also with our big island being home to many of the states worst intersections, highways, and roads period. It would be very nice to have more lighting within our cities and most rural areas for safety reasons. Yet projects like this thirty meter telescope provides reasons for the opposite?

Science and star or planet finding will win this battle as well, but not without some people power. Some say Maunakea has and will always take care of herself, nowhere can take of itself when up against the man and his $$$.
Concern here as well,
What if a new cure for brain disease or cause of a rare pneumonia could be found in an endangered bug or species atop Maunakea? Yet because of the continued race to space atop this sensitive environment we never find it at all?
"Anyway this 18 story telescope will probably be built in a manmade hole or lowspot in hopes to keep a lower profile, yet Canada might be able to still see it?."

No, the TMT will not be visible from Canada.

Why do I bother?

ETA: I'm starting to agree with knieft that this is a troll. No-one can be this stupid.
Sarah Palin can see Russia from her window??...??..

Jon in Keaau/HPP
Gypsy69, please apologize for your violent threats before you post more of your inane comments. Thank you.
What if a new cure for brain disease or cause of a rare pneumonia could be found in an endangered bug or species atop Maunakea? Yet because of the continued race to space atop this sensitive environment we never find it at all?

I heard the ants the protectors brought up with their palm foliage are going after those endangered bugs as we speak...
Guess there's no chance to cure Big Island brain disease now that the rare unnamed bugs will all be devoured.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Top of the morning punaweb, great day to debate.

The bug I had mentioned lives in the cinder cones near the summit, some of these cones have already been destroyed or altered due to the telescope expansion atop maunakea. The bug is a flightless scientific wonder known as the wekiu or wakiu bug. The university of hilo hawaii has spent time and money on studying this bug in its natural habitat, it lives nowhere else in this world outside a lab. Also They are found on the edges of the snow frosts in numbers feeding at times.
Maybe this bug needed to be exterminated for observatories safety? They couldn't have a few uku's hold up millions could they?.

P.s. sorry Paul, will try and breath first.