Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We Support TMT - Please sign the petition
quote:
Originally posted by ironyak

The inability to apply the findings of the study to the situation may be more evidence of the study's conclusion: that Western, Educated, Industrialized, Rich, and Democratic views tend to be more analytical and object-focused than holistic and background-focused as compared to the rest of world.

Or to put it another way, what could 1000+ years of culture tied to the land and Mauna Kea possibly have anything to do with building a telescope there?

Once again the man with steel dialog the one whose verbage is unbreakable - Ladiez and germs I give to you - IRON YAK!

Very nice succinct summation of an otherwise convoluted point of view. It is still baloney but now we can clearly see that thanks to the Yak Meister.
Thanks Tom, that was exactly my conclusion after reading the first few paragraphs of the news article.

Dakine, we shall see in a year or two who has the better understanding of what's going on here.
I hope you'll still be around; I will be.
"How is this surprising and what has it to do with the TMT?"

Read the article.

Un Mojado Sin Licencia
Un Mojado Sin Licencia
I've read the article and, more importantly, the paper it refers to. Perhaps you might try answering my question rather than just saying read the article. I am open to your opinion as to what both say.
Evening Tom. Having read both, I do wonder why you don't see the connection between the findings of how unusual western views are compared to much of the world, and the local disconnect between views on the value of the TMT on Mauna Kea.

What I found most interesting in the study were how widely some of the cognitive measures differed between cultures, demonstrating social and environmental impacts on very fundamental aspects of awareness such as focal object and background awareness. This forces a reconsideration of the platitute that "people see things differently" from simply meaning a difference in opinion to being a real difference in perception.

If the epigenetic effects can be that dramatic, why is there any surprise that difficulties would arise in conversing with or understanding those from a very different cultural background and perspective of the TMT?
I'm sure most can agree that different people see different things differently.
How does that mean that a telescope should not be built??
TMT is supposed to add at least 170 science and technology jobs directly.

Those people will probably choose to live near the TMT offices, and I'm betting those offices won't be in Puna.

Who cares if it's in Puna? Are you a YIMBY?

I suppose we should be grateful the protestors didn't try to stop the Saddle Road.
"I'm sure most can agree that different people see different things differently.
How does that mean that a telescope should not be built??"

it doesn't. apparently there are those among the more recent arrivals to Hawaii from places much less diverse who might naively blow out of proportion the variety and mix of ancestral backgrounds among the people of Hawaii to imaginatively consider that we just can't understand each other on some fundamental psychological level here in our community. where are these isolated and exotic per-industrialized societies of Hawaii 2015 being raised in such an alien environment from the rest of us in the islands?

as someone among extended and immediate family members more or less representative of the typical assortment of "very different cultural backgrounds" in Hawaii, and even a member or two actually raised in a "non-western culture", i can tell you this idea that we just can't understand each other on par with what ironyak seems to be suggesting is quite a stretch, to put it mildly.

-----------------
unrelated to what i had to say, but for anyone who may be interested to read other thoughts in response to the above mentioned study. http://neuroanthropology.net/2010/07/10/...rd-enough/
----------------

soon back to We Support TMT - Please sign the petition?

PahoaTed:
"Are organic farmers using manure as fertilizer going to be all that concerned about the condition of the medical facilities on the east side?"

Organic farmers are just as concerned about good health care as anyone else. You think someone who is an organic farmer is immune from diseases or accidents?