Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We Support TMT - Please sign the petition
The HPP and Volcano communities in particular have telescope employees living in them.

Neither of these subdivisions is truly "Puna", despite where the lines are drawn.
I'd print up some some bumper stickers for the real Puna, but unfortunately I live in HPP:

Puna
True n tru
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
JMO. This TMT project will provide 170 more reasons local families will continue to struggle, camp, or squat in and around Puna. Some 170+ extra reasons to keep majority of the mainland owned rentals high, while also showing the greater importance's or needs for local county housing and EBT. Would be great to see locals or hawaiians recieve 150 of the some 170 daily jobs or positions that will come with the TMT project. Instead you will have 150 new non-respecting transplants taking the few jobs, renting the few houses, and further conjesting everything while helping to keep prices high for everyone. Another state and University money maker with Plenty of winners and a few more local losers for the abuse of Maunakea, can't wait.

P.S. My quess is that Canada, Japan, Europe, and China will all gain more jobs and better educations for their youth through this TmT project, than the Hawaiians or locals who will share, lose, or sacrifice their way of life to allow it?
150 new non-respecting transplants taking the few jobs

Basically what I meant by "they won't live in Puna".

In any case, TMT will have to import those workers because "nobody on-island has those skills" (and is under 40, and single).
Gypsy, why would you assume that all of the jobs will go to non-locals? That is so unlikely I'd nearly call it impossible.
It is far cheaper to hire someone who lives locally than to pay for the relocation of mainland or overseas staff, so locals will be given the preference.

So, you don't want more jobs? What do you want then, less jobs? You want opportunities for your children but you don't want opportunities for anyone else?

I don't know if you've ever lived on the mainland but I can assure you that house prices here are not high and this island is not congested.

PS - Thanks for the apology
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

Let me be the first then to point my finger at DHHL and say they aren't doing their job.

What they are doing with great skill is consuming the funds intended for our native Hawaiian neighbors and spending the money on themselves and their friends. They are very good at developing and maintaining policies that make it exceedingly difficult for a Hawaiian family to gain a leasehold on a DHL plot.

Look down along the Kalapana shoreline where a small subdivision with good water and roads sits basically unused for a decade. If you take the time and research those improvements cost you will be impressed.

Families have died of old age waiting for leaseholds.

I have long been puzzled by how quietly the Hawaiians allow this to continue. I think that they are afraid of retribution if they speak up.

Would this be different in a kingdom?

@ dakine quote...Considering the wealth, held in trust, of the many Hawaiian entities, Kamehameha Schools alone being the wealthiest private trust in the US, I don't think it's as much an issue as those suggesting poverty make it out to be.

As to lands, besides the disputed ceded lands, again entities like Kam Schools have a lot of it. The one entity not listed by Ka Lahui that I believe should be is Bishop Museum. I feel their holdings on this island are central to the discussion.

question..any reason these 2 entities, Bishop estate/Kam schools (for not educating all hawaiians in light of their riches and land holdings, wasn't this task, education, put into Princess Bernice's will) and DHHL (for not getting hawaiians into homes of their own, isn't this their mandate?) are not being confronted/protested against by haw'n activists who are up on the mauna? Demanding from ones own would seem to lend credibility to the cause.

gypsy...i asked the question above in another thread...do you have any answers
"Neither of these subdivisions is truly "Puna", despite where the lines are drawn."

Please educate us on where the real Puna is. Let me guess - your street is included.
It is far cheaper to hire someone who lives locally

Again: only if the desired skillset is actually available locally, otherwise that hire must be imported.

Ironically, many of these imports don't make it, failing somewhere between culture shock and the cost of living.

...And the position of the lines may vary by as much as 20'depending on whether you calculate from infrastructure (roads, telephone poles) or GPS coordinates. Needs it's own topic...
***Still can't figure out how to spell 'car' correctly***
"only if the desired skillset is actually available locally,"

By the time the telescope is operational it will have been almost 20 years in the planning so the educational
system (and keen students) will have had plenty of time to get ready. Can't blame the telescope for that.

Even if some of the workforce are transplants, they'll be paying tax like everyone else. I don't see any downsides
to getting some more well-educated people here.