Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Relocating to Puna
Aloha Pam, Sounds like progress to me! Wonderful. I do have a question and that is where was the lumber delivered and how is it stored. Just wondering if it was unloaded onto a concrete pad or put on piers or how it has been protected from the ground. Mahalo Pam2

Oh PS I have met another future neighbor and she is also a Pamela, Pamela3 will be living across Ohia from Gene and I. When we all get settled I'll host the first MULTI Pammi's night OUT! Perhaps we can collect more Pam's by then! With or without hubby's! So looking forward to our move and anxious and happy for you all who have made it. Mella L

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Mella,
We have laid in a rock road (900 ft driveway really) that drains well. We had the lumber dropped on the last section of it, then covered in plastic. Is doing fine. We expect to be using in within a week. I see no problems at all. The piers were poured yesterday so after an extra day to cure, they will be putting up the posts and using the lumber to build the initial deck. That should take quite some time as it is about 3200 sq. ft. The 400 sp ft carport is already poured. Wow! It's all coming along now... Smile

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Mella,
We have laid in a rock road (900 ft driveway really) that drains well. We had the lumber dropped on the last section of it, then covered in plastic. Is doing fine. We expect to be using in within a week. I see no problems at all. The piers were poured yesterday so after an extra day to cure, they will be putting up the posts and using the lumber to build the initial deck. That should take quite some time as it is about 3200 sq. ft. The 400 sp ft carport is already poured. Wow! It's all coming along now... Smile

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
aloha pam i would like to pick your brain for a minute.i'am look for a architect and engineer for house plans and cesspool plans,any info will help.in glenwood do you have cesspool or septic?.hope all is good and looking foward to meeting you folks in august. p.s feed back from other punatics on the subject will help out. MAHALO sean

Sean,
I started by hiring an Archetect. Whoa... not the way to go. Instead, you hire a draftsperson, work out your plans, and the draftsperson works with an Archetect who signs off on them. In my case, the draftsperson aosl got the engineer to take care of the cesspool. The engineer does both cesspool and septic tanks so whatever you need.... The Archetect and Engineer fees are seprate from the "by the square foot" drafting charge. That said, I am thrilled with the arrangement. i did my own initial plans, then the drafter put it into blueprints as a floorplan first... we went over some details and made some changes to meet code and/or building cost practicality.... then she did a full set and the archetect reviewed and signed off on it.

I was especially pleased with Janel Arujo, 964-5119
She has an office at Honsador in Hilo on Railroad Ave, though she does not work for them; she is an independent. Her fees were only $0.45/sq ft, half what others charged... AND not only was it excellent but her fee includes her secretary walking the plans through the building department... not a small task. Hope this helps.

Oh, I am not saying you Can't hire an archetect directly, but understand that they will charge around $3.00+ per sq ft, will turn it over to a drafter and the oprocess is the same....

Aloha. Pam

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Hi Pam,

I just spoke to Janel, such a fun person to talk with. Thanks for the tip.
Much Appreciated. Mahalo, Mella L

mella l

Edited by - Mella L on 07/21/2005 19:53:51
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
hello pam, thanks for the money saving info! i'am hoping to have all my contacts by the time i get to puna! once again thank you and keep the tips flowing sean

Greetings!

Just a note about your wood. I've heard that treating it with citrus oil products before construction can prevent termites from finding it attractive. You might want to check out www.invisiblegardener.com. Andy Lopez is an organic gardening guru with lots of good tips and information. He's quite a character.

We just returned from the big Island -- checking it out for a possible relocation in January.

Roger Davenport

p.s. I am a long-time solar researcher (solar thermal, large-scale power systems), looking forward to helping promote solar power on the Big Island by convincing small to medium-sized businesses to put PV on their roofs...

Roger D.
Roger D.
hello solar guy (roger)this is ika (sean),we will be building in opihikao and will be going full solar any info will be big time helpfull! mahalo sean

Information:

a. ALL my wood is pretreated for termites
b. In Glenwood, we are at an elevation that doesn't actually see the termite problem that exists at lower elevations (lucky us)
c. For SOLAR definitely contact SolarWorks in Ocean View. They clearly have the best prices and know their stuff. I am very happy with them so far.

"Oh Crap, She's up!"