Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We Support TMT - Please sign the petition
I say pull the plug and take all the observatories off the mountain and sweep it down. Why waste 1.2 billion dollars on such fine piece of modern equipment and put it here amongst a people as outlined so eloquently above?

There must be other cultures with well educated people who would embrace such a fine piece of equipment. This evidently not being one of them. From what it sounds like to me, we should just remove anything related to after western contact from the islands. Build up Midway and use the Navy to secure these islands from outside influence. Only allow ancient ocean canoes in and out after checking for and removing any modern day contraband. No sense in allowing them to have their cake and eat it to. Let's keep it "sacred".

Think the above sounds silly and radical?
Dakine hates money yet spends it all the time.

Is he the victim or the crime?
Okay, Mauna Kea is beloved and you will do anything to "save" it. It seems to have been doing fine for a million years until you came along. How much of it is beloved? What about the bits that have houses built on it, why don't you start there?

What about Mauna Loa, is that not sacred? Should we dismantle Hilo?

The problem with people designating things as sacred is that there is no rhyme or reason to it. If someone decided tomorrow that chickens are sacred, do we all have to take heed? People can believe whatever they want, just don't inflict it on the rest of us.

Once again it's you who lacks understanding.

I wonder sometimes how many of the protestors think themselves Christian and if they know what the First Commandment is.
Dakine, that's a disgraceful and insulting post. You have no idea what people here have done in their lives, what sacrifices they've made to help others and what they've done to protect loved ones and others. Instead you just assume and bring it down to race once again. You should be ashamed.
"Would you spend all of your money to save a loved one from cancer? From Lou Gehrig’s disease? Or spare a loved one from a life in prison without parole? Yes, we all would."

I wouldn't. QED.
just to be 'that guy' Hawai'i (island) is less than a million years old.

= )

and clearly section 10 clause 4 of the sacred rule book states that once a large telescope with minor differences from existing nearby large telescopes is built sacredness is lost and can never return.

get your sacred straight...

ETA: come to think of it i'm not sure if the age of Hawai'i island as publicly known is from when it rose above sea level or what. So, I guess Paul is probably right with his million years old thing if you want to get all technical...

Thanks rainyjim, that's how rational people resolve differences.

As per wikipedia: "Mauna Kea is about one million years old[...]"
"Only allow ancient ocean canoes in and out after checking for and removing any modern day contraband. No sense in allowing them to have their cake and eat it to. Let's keep it "sacred"."

Who gets to remove the invasive ants from the mountain?
Tom,
The US military will take care of those ants. After collecting two of each indigenous creatures from the area for later reintroduction. Built from fire, cleansed by fire. Napalm the bitch.
dakine, it is hard to know what to say, since I suppose my mind is branded "western." It reminds me about wondering what my welcome in Korea would be if I were asked for and revealed my undesirable blood type (the dreaded B.) I've been harassed over some things in my astrological chart (a grand cross, Mars opp Saturn, Scorpio rising.) I'm a middle-aged woman now in a society that worships youth, or at least youthful appearance, and yet permits men with "distinguished grey" hair to anchor the evening news but women there have to look like they are in their twenties. There is so much discrimination in the world, of so many types. Please don't compound it. This isn't a matter of western, eastern, northern or southern minds.

Pam in CA
May is Lupus Awareness Month
Pam in CA