Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We Support TMT - Please sign the petition
The photographer, Shane Black, describes his Mauna Kea Panorama...

"Several elements came together in this panorama, including zodiacal light, airglow, an incredibly vibrant milky way, and the Kilauea Cauldron glowing through the layer of fog."

http://www.shaneblackphoto.com/Portfolio/i-gJgPg3c
Yes, I read that earlier today. The panorama is superb and an awful lot of skill and talent went into creating it.
It used to be called trick photography. It is a digital image in RAW processed in Lightroom.

Lightroom works with information that is already available in the image. It is not like Photoshop which can add elements into a photo or design.

Just like "real" 35mm film photography had wide aperture and ISO camera settings to allow more light onto the film, DSLRs do the same only better.

Darkroom developers cropped photos, used enlargers, and would dodge and burn an image in order to create a more pleasing affect. Lightroom does this as well - - plus many other effects with the information available in the image.

In the Mauna Kea panorama you see the light of Hilo, Kilauea, the moon and Milky Way because they were photographed, not because they were added in post processing.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
It used to be called trick photography. It is a digital image in RAW processed in Lightroom.

Lightroom works with information that is already available in the image. It is not like Photoshop which can add elements into a photo or design.

Just like "real" 35mm film photography had wide aperture and ISO camera settings to allow more light onto the film, DSLRs do the same only better.

Darkroom developers cropped photos, used enlargers, and would dodge and burn an image in order to create a more pleasing affect. Lightroom does this as well - - plus many other effects with the information available in the image.

In the Mauna Kea panorama you see the light of Hilo, Kilauea, the moon and Milky Way because they were photographed, not because they were added in post processing.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
getting into technical semantics. some photography mimics the actual in-person mechanics of seeing with the human eye more closely than others. and then there is artistic interpretation. perhaps more of a challenge, but photograph the Mooheau bus station just right, and it's sacredness could be enhanced too ...or any other effect or mood one wishes to enhance with the photographic techniques of choice. art is heavy on perception and expression, not so much limited to analytical documentation.

i say designate equal TMT time for the making of ultraviolet and infrared optical art.
getting into technical semantics. some photography mimics the actual in-person mechanics of seeing with the human eye more closely than others. and then there is artistic interpretation. perhaps more of a challenge, but photograph the Mooheau bus station just right, and it's sacredness could be enhanced too ...or any other effect or mood one wishes to enhance with the photographic techniques of choice. art is heavy on perception and expression, not so much limited to analytical documentation.

i say designate equal TMT time for the making of ultraviolet and infrared optical art.
"Dakine speaks truth a lot of the time, if you choose to understand it. Although some may find his/her approach abrasive or divisive, it is dakine's candor in expressing belief and opinion that I admire."

Dakine says people of a different skin color should "shut up and go back to wherever they came from".
You can call that "candor", I call that something else.

I pointed out the hypocrisy in a Civil Beat article written by an anti-telescope person so Dakine
speculates about my mental state, instead of attempting to refute my assertions.
You can call that "candor", I think that's lazy and desperate.

By the way, I agree with you dakine. I hope the negotiations do allow the protestors to save face
so that we can get on with it and forget this shameful sorry episode.
"Dakine speaks truth a lot of the time, if you choose to understand it. Although some may find his/her approach abrasive or divisive, it is dakine's candor in expressing belief and opinion that I admire."

Dakine says people of a different skin color should "shut up and go back to wherever they came from".
You can call that "candor", I call that something else.

I pointed out the hypocrisy in a Civil Beat article written by an anti-telescope person so Dakine
speculates about my mental state, instead of attempting to refute my assertions.
You can call that "candor", I think that's lazy and desperate.

By the way, I agree with you dakine. I hope the negotiations do allow the protestors to save face
so that we can get on with it and forget this shameful sorry episode.
A Native Hawaiian Astrophysicist's Mana‘o on the Thirty Meter Telescope
Paul Coleman of the Institute Astronomy at the University of Hawai‘i at M#257;noa
By: Daniel Ikaika Ito

There are many Hawaiian voices being heard in opposition to the Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) on Mauna Kea, but MANA also wants to hear a kanaka maoli’s perspective who supports the project in order to give you, our audience, a balanced view to make an educated and informed decision on your own. In light of the protests at the University of Hawai‘i campuses, we sat down with Paul Coleman, an astrophysicist for the Institute for Astronomy at the University of Hawai‘i at M#257;noa.

The 60-year-old Saint Louis School alumnus earned his bachelor’s of science degree from the University of Notre Dame and received his master's degree and doctorate in physics from the University of Pittsburgh. Coleman spent years traveling all over the world and doing research in the field of astronomy so that he could continue his work at home in Hawai‘i nei. He eventually made it back to the islands and, since then, the Native Hawaiian astrophysicist has spent numerous hours on Mauna Kea, staring at the same stars that his k#363;puna (ancestors) observed while also trying to look beyond those celestial beings to answer deeper, scientific questions. Fortunately, Coleman was willing to answer our inquiries about TMT, Mauna Kea and astronomy from a Hawaiian scientist’s perspective.

More....

http://www.welivemana.com/articles/nativ...-telescope
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
A Native Hawaiian Astrophysicist's Mana‘o on the Thirty Meter Telescope
Paul Coleman of the Institute Astronomy at the University of Hawai‘i at M#257;noa
By: Daniel Ikaika Ito

There are many Hawaiian voices being heard in opposition to the Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) on Mauna Kea, but MANA also wants to hear a kanaka maoli’s perspective who supports the project in order to give you, our audience, a balanced view to make an educated and informed decision on your own. In light of the protests at the University of Hawai‘i campuses, we sat down with Paul Coleman, an astrophysicist for the Institute for Astronomy at the University of Hawai‘i at M#257;noa.

The 60-year-old Saint Louis School alumnus earned his bachelor’s of science degree from the University of Notre Dame and received his master's degree and doctorate in physics from the University of Pittsburgh. Coleman spent years traveling all over the world and doing research in the field of astronomy so that he could continue his work at home in Hawai‘i nei. He eventually made it back to the islands and, since then, the Native Hawaiian astrophysicist has spent numerous hours on Mauna Kea, staring at the same stars that his k#363;puna (ancestors) observed while also trying to look beyond those celestial beings to answer deeper, scientific questions. Fortunately, Coleman was willing to answer our inquiries about TMT, Mauna Kea and astronomy from a Hawaiian scientist’s perspective.

More....

http://www.welivemana.com/articles/nativ...-telescope
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator