Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I now own a cat house. Help!
regardless,....humane and legal.

key words here.

What do you expect the humain society to do? They probably get over 100 cats a day. Can't give that many away every day. Trapping them and taking *unwanted* animals to the HS is better than leaving them to fend for themselves. I say hire someone to do it. Be the good neighbor and get rid of the problem. I'd be somewhat pissed if my neighbor left a bunch of cats to roam around from a mess I didn't cause. I've had to deal with a problem like this and to me it's the best solution to eliminate the problem humanely.
Take a picture of some of the cats and put it up on Craigslist under free or something like that along with your story. That's how we found someone to take our cat.

* ALOHA *
There are people out there that think you should quit your job and dedicate your life to catering to these cats. Depending on which route you go you may or may not want certain parties involved. If the Hui Pono Holoholona folks will take the cats away, I would consider contacting them. If they want to do TNR on your property, DON'T GIVE THEM YOUR ADDRESS.
I agree about Hui Holoholona. When it looked like the lava was going to bisect Pahoa, they went to the transfer station, Pahoa Marketplace and elsewhere in town, collected feral cats and took them to their sanctuary.

I don't know what Mark P means by TNR, so I can't address that comment. At first I thought he meant TNS (trap-neuter-spay)for which they do have some funding...

If you want to adopt a cat you don't have to go to Craig's List - you can adopt from Hui Holoholona or from Rainbow Friends. Or you can adopt from the HIHS and save a cat from the gas chamber.
I think this was written in jest... but.... I'm not sure:

http://www.buckstix.com/CoehornMortarHunt.htm
quote:
Originally posted by PunaLover

My last tenant is gone and took a few of her cats with her. Unfortunately there are about 15 to 20 left that want to come in the house and when they can't they hang around outside leaving their waste and smell all over the lanai. Scaring them off doesn't work.

I called Humane Society. They said I can rent a cat trap for $50 deposit and trap them and bring them in one at a time. Holy cow, I only have a few days til I gotta go off island, and 400 miles of driving back and forth for 20 strays is insane. This would take days even if I got five traps as they are pretty skittish.

So how the heck do I get rid of them? They've torn up the house screens when they get in the house and then scramble to get out, they left waste in the house, dug their claws into the window trim on the way out, it's getting ridiculous. And the renter was evicted so no chance of responsibility for any of this fiasco.

quote:
Originally posted by PunaLover

My last tenant is gone and took a few of her cats with her. Unfortunately there are about 15 to 20 left that want to come in the house and when they can't they hang around outside leaving their waste and smell all over the lanai. Scaring them off doesn't work.

I called Humane Society. They said I can rent a cat trap for $50 deposit and trap them and bring them in one at a time. Holy cow, I only have a few days til I gotta go off island, and 400 miles of driving back and forth for 20 strays is insane. This would take days even if I got five traps as they are pretty skittish.

So how the heck do I get rid of them? They've torn up the house screens when they get in the house and then scramble to get out, they left waste in the house, dug their claws into the window trim on the way out, it's getting ridiculous. And the renter was evicted so no chance of responsibility for any of this fiasco.

Aloha,
It is sad that your tenant left these kitties, basically it was animal abandonment which is against the law. Our organization Hui Pono Holoholona can help spay/neuter. Could you call me at (808) 769-1128 to see is we can work out a win-win solution for you and for the cats. Mahalo, Frannie Pueo
trying to figure out why you would feel compelled to share that particular link, terracore. humor? nothing like a mutilated animal photo to get a laugh.
Certain responsibilities fall upon landlords, this is one of them, I would know.

Good God, this is 2015 and humans are still barely more than narcissistic barbarians. When one comes upon a situation of abandoned pets DO THE RIGHT THING!!! Pets are a beloved part of our culture, sometimes humans(bad tenants) fall short of their responsibilities and that means the rest of us pick up the slack.

Contact Frannie, the post above you or take them to the Humane Society where euthanization is the legal and humane alternative to allowing them to die slowly, VERY SLOWLY over the next year or two of disease and/or starving to death. Remember that a year from now if you turn your back and leave them in harm's way. Some things stay with you forever whether you like it or not. Cruel inhumanity and not responding to a crisis on your property/helping a pet in need is one of them.

Is it so hard for you to do the right thing? Or is selfishness so pervasive one cannot be inconvenienced for a few days?