Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I now own a cat house. Help!
The sprinkler thing won't work on Puna cats... they're used to the rain here... catfish Smile There is a difference between a pet and a stray cat... these are strays that someone fed... not really their responsibility to get rid of them IMO. or take them to the vet or anything else... the cats were happy simply to have a source of food. perhaps stop giving them food and they will leave on their own? also, if the cats are wanting inside a house bc a human let them in, how skittish are they really?
quote:
Originally posted by PunaMauka2

trying to figure out why you would feel compelled to share that particular link, terracore. humor? nothing like a mutilated animal photo to get a laugh.

It is clearly a gag site meant to ruffle your feathers. And it worked!
quote:
Originally posted by Punatic007

Is it so hard for you to do the right thing? Or is selfishness so pervasive one cannot be inconvenienced for a few days?

Aren't you glad you asked for advice?
quote:

Certain responsibilities fall upon landlords, this is one of them, I would know.

Good God, this is 2015 and humans are still barely more than narcissistic barbarians. When one comes upon a situation of abandoned pets DO THE RIGHT THING!!! Pets are a beloved part of our culture, sometimes humans(bad tenants) fall short of their responsibilities and that means the rest of us pick up the slack.

Contact Frannie, the post above you or take them to the Humane Society where euthanization is the legal and humane alternative to allowing them to die slowly, VERY SLOWLY over the next year or two of disease and/or starving to death. Remember that a year from now if you turn your back and leave them in harm's way. Some things stay with you forever whether you like it or not. Cruel inhumanity and not responding to a crisis on your property/helping a pet in need is one of them.

Is it so hard for you to do the right thing? Or is selfishness so pervasive one cannot be inconvenienced for a few days?

The selfish, irresponsible cruel party here is the cat hoarder who left their collection on someone else's property, sticking them with the task of figuring out what to do with the abandoned felines.

Your ire is misdirected, if Punalover wanted to just poison, starve, or kill the cats they would not have posted here. Instead they asked for ADVICE, not self righteous posturing and an attack on their character. In case you missed it, this person is leaving the island in a few days, in fact might be gone by now, what you refer to as being "inconvenienced for a few days" may instead be "this is all you are going to do until you leave".
selfish, irresponsible cruel party here is the cat hoarder who left their collection

Maybe they were really nice people, and it was selfish/irresponsible of someone else to force the cat people to leave the island.

We could also blame the selfish/irresponsible who refused to spay/neuter their cats -- the cats aren't native, someone brought them here.
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

selfish, irresponsible cruel party here is the cat hoarder who left their collection

Maybe they were really nice people, and it was selfish/irresponsible of someone else to force the cat people to leave the island.

We could also blame the selfish/irresponsible who refused to spay/neuter their cats -- the cats aren't native, someone brought them here.

The forebears of those cats could have come anytime since Cook, so you are reaching pretty far back to lay blame on that one. Why do you assume Punalover's tenants were forced to move off the island? You seem to be making a pretty huge leap there.

Cat hoarders lived on our street, when they moved they left all the cats, so did the crazy cat lady who used to live behind us. The terriers in the neighborhood don't seem to distinguish between feral cats and rats, so they are all gone now, but until the last few got killed it was a stinky problem for the whole neighborhood: cat poop to step into when you get out of your car or try to garden, males spraying all over carports, lania's cars, and anything else lower than 4 feet high. Constant howling, especially when the females went into heat, and a huge reduction in bird song.

The birds are back, now that the cats are gone.
quote:
Originally posted by shockwave rider

quote:

Certain responsibilities fall upon landlords, this is one of them, I would know.

Good God, this is 2015 and humans are still barely more than narcissistic barbarians. When one comes upon a situation of abandoned pets DO THE RIGHT THING!!! Pets are a beloved part of our culture, sometimes humans(bad tenants) fall short of their responsibilities and that means the rest of us pick up the slack.

Contact Frannie, the post above you or take them to the Humane Society where euthanization is the legal and humane alternative to allowing them to die slowly, VERY SLOWLY over the next year or two of disease and/or starving to death. Remember that a year from now if you turn your back and leave them in harm's way. Some things stay with you forever whether you like it or not. Cruel inhumanity and not responding to a crisis on your property/helping a pet in need is one of them.

The selfish, irresponsible cruel party here is the cat hoarder who left their collection on someone else's property, sticking them with the task of figuring out what to do with the abandoned felines.

Your ire is misdirected, if Punalover wanted to just poison, starve, or kill the cats they would not have posted here. Instead they asked for ADVICE, not self righteous posturing and an attack on their character. In case you missed it, this person is leaving the island in a few days, in fact might be gone by now, what you refer to as being "inconvenienced for a few days" may instead be "this is all you are going to do until you leave".

Thank you. I'm the responsible one with the mess to clean up (literally) while my irresponsible renter skipped off after having months to try and solve the cat problem herself. I'm trying to find a way to get rid of them without killing them but I've also got to get the place cleaned up, fixed up and rented in the next few days so the last thing I need is to take hours a day to try and catch/place cats.

I called the lady at the sanctuary and she said she'd call me back soon but they're not 'cat catchers' either. They'll try to do something with them once they're caught though.
You seem to be making a pretty huge leap there.

It's the only physical therapy covered by my health insurance.
I would be sure to let the previous tenant know what was done (euthanized) to the felines so that maybe, just maybe, she might think twice about collecting them again (doubtful). But I would definitely let her know. Hope you kept her deposit!

but I've also got to get the place cleaned up, fixed up and rented in the next few days so the last thing I need is to take hours a day to try and catch/place cats.

Maybe the easiest thing would be to list the place for rent and find a caring tenant that would be grateful for the opportunity and inclined to help you with the cats. Thus avoiding the entire thing yourself and finding a tenant that proves their worth in the process. It could be the start if a mutually beneficial relationship.