Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We Support TMT - Please sign the petition
gypsy-
I would really appreciate it if you have a moment to answer a few questions:

Some say the decommissioned telescopes would be great for local public and charter school children use?

Would you drive your children to the top of Mauna Kea for school every day, and pick them up at the end of the day? Do you know of one person who said they would? Also, do you think it would be safe to put school buses on the road to the summit for those parents who can't drive up there twice a day?

These so called science folks with degrees from classrooms around the world are taking jobs from locals.

Can you name one local astrophysicist who is unemployed because someone from another country took their job? How many unemployed people do you know who have a Masters degree or PhD in astrophysics? How many employed astrophysicists do you know, as there must be a lot of them if they can be the singular cause of high food prices, rental costs, and lack of affordable housing.

P.S. sure would like to sit in one of those meetings, thats if they creap any closer to these highly affected parts of the island.

If a TMT meeting is too far to drive to one time, how would you find the time to take your children to school at the top of Mauna Kea every day?
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
NPR going have a show called "Bytemarks Cafe" at 5:00 about TMT. Sorry don't have details. Heard about it on morning news. The Sunrise guy assures that it's not advocating anything.[Smile]
Great post mountainview, I agree with you on many things. Very similar situation here with my family, we will be moving to the mainland eventually for the same reasons too. The state is selling maunakea's resources and Puna's water, land, steam, and aloha more than ever to mainland or world investers and developers with very little respect for those before, now or after. In return the better or connected local aina protectors for decades and generations get a few extra high pay spraying jobs along the highway to keep the island clean and safe for tourism. While Many others are having to rely on the government or state banaids of Quest, section 8, ebt, and jobs at Walmart and taco bell to counter the rising cost of the new Hawaii gold club living. Those hundreds of good jobs atop maunakea star watching are not going to local children of tomorrow with their great computer skills from Ka'u or Pahoa high are they?.
@ gyspy...Some ideas I have heard have been pretty good like, build the TMT while decommissioning 3-5 of the current and soon to be out dated telescopes atop maunakea?

so, the problem is not the building of TMT...the problem is there are to many telescopes on top of da mauna! ha ha

Time to go back and contemplate why protectors are Not protesting Bishop estate for not educating the hawaiian children as per Princess Bernice's will AND why protectors are Not protesting OHA and dhhl for not providing land and the means to house hawaiians as is their mandate.

Am I mistaken in my presumption of the job scope of these two entities?
Good morning Frank, well written and I agree with your points. Maunakea is many things to many people right now, an awakening for me.
The Hypocrisy is apparent.

Why aren't he Protectors of the mauna calling for the removal of Hawaii’s “occupiers” at the Pohakuloa Training Area? Surely the presence of a U.S. military garrison where live fire ordnance tests are conducted across 133,000 acres — an area six times the size of Kaho’olawe — is more offensive to cultural practitioners and cultural beliefs.
The protesters did not object to Saddle Road improvements when we bulldozed and paved a hundred miles of the sacred mountain with toxic asphalt..

http://www.civilbeat.com/connections/vie...king-back/
One Thing I can always be sure of is that things will never go as expected.
a U.S. military garrison where live fire ordnance tests are conducted

Extend PTA boundaries to include the summit of Mauna Kea.

Problem solved.
ever consider Gypsy is yanking chains and pushing buttons here?
I thought PW was one big circular chain-yanking festival.

That said ... the idea that TMT desecrates (but PTA doesn't) is interesting.

Is it still desecration to plant coffee trees, not just on Mauna Kea, but on land which previously belong to King Kamehameha? "All development is bad", right?

http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/news/loca...-kea-slope
probably a mutual respect and camaraderie among warriors kind of thing.