Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT Work to Resume Says Ige!
Tom, that may be solved by:

5. Move access rules that significantly limit and put conditions on non­cultural access to the mountain expeditiously through the process

Viva Apartheid!
“The proper balance has been lost. With the noise and the crowding, it didn’t feel the same when I visited Mauna Kea as it did 20 years ago.”
-------------
The last time he was on the mountain, it wasn't full of "protestors".
It is generally very quiet and serene otherwise.
“The proper balance has been lost. With the noise and the crowding, it didn’t feel the same when I visited _________ as it did 20 years ago.”

Fill in the blank. You can say that about any place in Hawaii. Or the world for that matter.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
FYI: Protestors/Protectors respond to Gov. Ige:

(*Snipped - More at link)

Those standing vigil on Mauna Kea in opposition to the Thirty Meter Telescope have issued a written response to Governor David Ige’s plan calling for changes in how the state manages the mountain. The Ku Kia’i Mauna group is not bending in light of the governor’s proposals, or his promise to “support and enforce” TMT’s “right to proceed with construction”.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2015/0...-kea-plan/

PaulW, "what happens next" is a good question. The "line in the sand has been drawn", thus, confrontation looms. We cannot underestimate the protestors/protectors capabilities (non-violent; strategic). They have a strong base of support, very strong. This is my concern for both sides.

Mr. Tucker, exactly, Sir! Ige did a fine "political" job: left the burden to a future administration.

The admission of negligence by the State, the proposed additional "Cultural Council", and the other items on Ige's list, are admirable. Achievable... not likely.

When it is "requested" or "suggested" (Ige's words) that the UH and the State make the changes on his list, that is all it is. When laws start changing to enact his list, then I'll believe it will be done. Kind of like the difference between "shall" and "should".

Still digesting what Ige stated, (you know we always have to read between the lines) and look forward to peaceful resolution.

Going to take another step back on this one, as during the next few weeks, things may become very tenuous. I value my PW ohana and discussions, however, this subject is only going to get far more confrontational in the days/weeks to come.

Leilanidude, have you seen the loads of buses up there to "star gaze" at night, or the loads of tour vans full of tourists on a daily basis? Those are tourist, not protestors. It is the combination of ALL people who are going up there. Not just the protestors. Don't see the Visitor's Center complaining, they're making a killing!

Aloha kekahi I kekahi. Kapu aloha. Aloha aina. Malama aina. Moku o Keawe is our responsibility. Mauna a Wakea/Mauna Kea will take care of herself as always. Praying for peaceful resolution. E pule kakou.

Very concerned.

JMO.

Science trumps culture again, even up on the mauna. The Extra incentives like more scholarships for native hawaiians from Hawaii island first sound promising for those who give up a little of their culture, mauna, and way of life?

The observatories have been using maunakea for 60 years, they have all the employees watch and learn the cultural aspects of the maintain? Yet the irreversable damage that has been done to maunakea, or the Hawaiian culture has been caused by these same folks. The added roads, tourism, pollution, IGE, and 13 other outdated telescopes has now brought the great TMT delivered to the top of maunawakea, Not without more promises or money attached though.

Concerned here for the ( American) hawaiians, what are they if not truly recognized or respected? Why the native special treatment if they don't exist or aren't listened too? World science teams, one world military, and governor Ige are telling the hawaiians to find a new Piko? JMOpinions. OHA, Dlnr, continue to sell maunakea cheap to be the American black sheep.
As beat poetry, Gypsy's ramblings might actually be *good*.

edit 2015: Rap poetry.
***Still can't figure out how to spell 'car' correctly***
Good ideas on Ige's part to achieve agreement, but as we always said in staff meetings " put how you want us to do it and we will follow your directives, or otherwise its just blah blah blah" on your points of concern.
Another point to consider with all his "suggestions" I note that almost all have a "silver lining" (or gold, for that matter) in that at least a study, or "management" will be needed by a government party, and don't forget the "consultants" they bring on board. A good gesture will be to at least hire locals for the clerical staffing involved to start, and if they have higher skills, put them in the appropriate position all the way up to Cultural/Educational tour guides at the Visitor Center on up to the Observatories, and provide internships to those that have computer skills.
Have a good friend whose son just stayed home getting fat playing video games, got a burr in his saddle and lost 85 pounds, joined the Army, and learned how to use his video game skills to zap a stray satellite out of the sky before it hit earth. Very impressive in my eyes that if he could do it, so can others.

Community begins with Aloha
gypsy,
If construction of the TMT was halted, and all of the other observatories were removed from the summit of Mauna Kea, what would change?

Would the Hawaiian people instantly be more educated in their culture?
Would they magically have plantings of taro, and fields of banana and coconuts again?
Would Hawaiians start using their language in everyday interactions on the street and in the workplace?

The old ways would not reappear as if by magic. Everything you advocate as a better way of life will require hard work and effort with or without the observatories on Mauna Kea. The telescopes do not transmit a magic beam across the island preventing the Hawaiian people from accessing their culture. Their culture is here and available with or without domes on the mountain. But it will require study, and diligence, and education. And parents who understand what it will take, if that is what they wish for their children.

How many Hawaiian words did you teach your children today? Did you read a Hawaiian myth to the kids for a bedtime story? Do you have a garden of Hawaiian edible plants and medicinal herbs? Or do you think all that will happen overnight once the magic telescope beam is turned off?

"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
better get some ice for those burns gypsy...
Science trumps culture again

It's spelled "science" but it's pronounced "money".