Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT Work to Resume Says Ige!
The cost could prove to be enormous but hey entry fees are a reality

...and HVNP is already raising theirs to $25 over the next few years...
Here we go again, Supposedly TMT construction is to restart tomorrow (Wednesday). Protectors have stated that nothing has changed, they will be ready? Sure hope everyone stays safe and not as many have to be arrested again. In my opinion, the healing needed for many has not been allowed, some have had to stand their ground. The rebuilding of trust usually takes time to work on common goals together (Maunakea), not the offering of more money and promises made for later. The future remains bright for the big island IF(geothermal, lava viewing, and Telescope projects are done RIGHT). And if the old ways of thinking, selling cheap, or the costly repeating of so much history doesn't keep getting in the way.

http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/news/loca...n-resuming

They are sleeping in vehicles or on cots under a tent ... also making sure they have bail money ready.
New AP article out an hour ago. #1 story now on the U.S. Google news feed.
I sometimes wish, TMT would just pull out and build it elsewhere... Hawaii, doesn't deserve it.
Wednesday will certainly be an interesting day on the mountain. I hope and wish everyone stays safe. There are reports of a few people camping out at the access road to the TMT construction site. Although not quite at the summit it isn't a place I'd choose to sleep unless I was fully acclimated. I hope those camping there haven't come straight up from sea level.
rainyjim,

"It wouldnt be a bad thing to have some sort of car wash / air compressor / UV light 'clean stop station' before entering state and national parks in vehicles which could be hitchhiking all sorts of unwanted specimens along for the ride!"

Although there is no "cleaning station", all observatory and MKSS vehicles are inspected for dirt and invasive species, including staff who drive their own cars to Hale Pohaku. There is no such requirement for anyone else.

PM2,

"i wonder if the rocks brought up from Kona side yesterday by protestors/protectors to hastily make the sacred ahu blocking the access road to the TMT construction/destruction site went through so scrupulous an inspection?"

I wonder what the reaction would be if the other observatories blocked access to their parking areas? None of them do, of course, but there would be a firestorm of complaints if they did.

Gypsy69,

Go and play some golf or go fishing or do something you know how to do. Fine dining at the summit? Please.

https://youtu.be/5AB7IDw3PNI
They built an Ahu in the middle of the road and another in the center of the construction site.
I would imagine they are going to scream when their sacred Ahus are desecrated .

Won't they have to consecrate the Ahus first by using them for their original intended purpose which is human sacrifice ?
Tom,

Just curious...if there is no cleaning station then whats the point of inspecting? In other words, whats the procedure if invasives are found?

Thanks.

Alohas
Ask and ye shall receive.

http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/news/loca...-mauna-kea

Fees for access and parking may be charged in the future ... The eight commercial tour operators who take visitors to the peak will have to reapply for their permits ... rangers are now only allowed to advise -- rather than instruct -- drivers of two-wheel-drive vehicles not to travel the steep summit road

four-wheel drive vehicles would be required for trips to the summit, vehicles would have to be cleared of invasive species, groups larger than 10 people would require a permit, and snow play would have to be done with safe equipment made for the purpose rather than with improvised sleds that lack steering and brakes. Access to the summit could be limited to daylight hours.