Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT Work to Resume Says Ige!
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...2-arrested

Mike McCartney, Gov. David Ige’s chief of staff, said in a press release that construction of the state-of-the-art telescope will remain on hold until further notice.

Hooray.
construction of the state-of-the-art telescope will remain on hold until further notice.

Probably so the road crews can get in unabated to move and haul out the rocks, so the other observatories can keep functioning.
Then....
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
The road to the summit is now listed as closed and in the MK Visitor Center cam - there appears to be very few of the protestors there ths morning.

http://mkwc.ifa.hawaii.edu/current/cams/...mode=multi
Thanks for the reply 2liveque. Just as I thought, lots of promises that sound good yet only helps a few brown skin kids once in awhile, maybe even ones with less educational credentials. I know of two great area kids who fall under the criteria I mentioned earlier, unfortunately they both have only been born and raised Hawaii and not Hawaiian. These kids SAT scores and grades are good enough for the Ivy league and Duke universities of the mainland, really.

For decades we have heard the observatories pitch and many promises of education, jobs, and brighter futures for our area keiki. JMO, here in the year of 2015 These exceptional kids who continue to dream big and were unsuccessfully dumbed down by our areas public schools. Would probably not even score a position within our county, state, or police because of their youth, name, and color? I know many locals and Hawaiians who dropped out of high school who have had more chances and opportunities than the wrong skin colored kids that graduate #1 in their respective class, sad and true.

here in the year of 2015 These exceptional kids who continue to dream big and were unsuccessfully dumbed down by our areas public schools. Would probably not even score a position within our county, state, or police because of their youth, name, and color?

So the answer to the education problem is to shut down every entity that does not provide enough jobs to local residents, or in the case of the TMT, might not provide an acceptable level of local resident jobs if it gets built? And then when the next business with job opportunities takes a look at the Big Island as a potential location, how will this incident affect their decision? Would you build a company in a place where people don't seem to want jobs? They're going to decide based on what they read in news reports, and that doesn't look good, and in many cases doesn't even make sense to a prospective employer.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
Hawaii ranked last in a recent CNBC list of places to do business. Interestingly, they happened to rank first in quality of life. Hmmmmmm.
"Reached by phone, protest organizer Kahookahi Kanuha, who was among those arrested, said he tried to put a stop to rocks being placed on the road when he received word about it."

Yep, a "highly organized" protest.

"The confrontation initially ended with an emotional statement from DLNR branch chief Lino Kamakau to the protesters."

"From myself, I apologize to you guys,” he said, his eyes full of tears and his voice cracking with emotion. “I hope you guys understand what I got to do. You may not accept it. I got to do my job. I’m really, really sorry. Our No. 1 thing right now is public safety, and we’re not going up (the mountain).”

Time for a new job, maybe? I mean, he seems to recognize that, in his official capacity, he has an obligation to safeguard access to the area, but he is otherwise tolerating wrongdoing.
their downfall will be moving the 'sacred' rocks....

fwiw... they stopped the security fence builders and heavy machinery maintenance crew for a day....
NOT the TMT construction crew...

save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
save our indigenous and endemic Hawaiian Plants... learn about them, grow them, and plant them on your property, ....instead of all that invasive non-native garbage I see in most yards... aloha
Why have the TMT folks bothered to say exactly when they will try to resume construction? Why not just show up unannounced and get on with it?
Why did they bring rocks from Kona? Plenty of rocks already there.