Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT Work to Resume Says Ige!
This evening (Sunday) a number of protesters were seen by night-time observatory staff well above the VIS and it seems they were moving rocks into the road again. There is concern from those on the summit tonight they will not be able to get down tomorrow morning, and more worryingly, that if there is a medical emergency tonight, they may be delayed or prevented from evacuating the victim. I hope this doesn't turn out to be the case.
If Tom's colleagues' report pans out to be true, the protesters would seem to already be challenging the governor's recent tougher talk. That would signal that it's time to clear the mountain and set up a checkpoint at the Saddle Road intersection or thereabouts to establish a safe zone for the observatory staff and construction workers. It promises to be another "interesting" week.
Interesting video ....from the trib ...video speaks for itself

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...-mauna-kea

lucky we live in Hawaii
I know what it's like to not do so well up on high mountains and I'm terrified someone could get altitude sickness and not be able to get down in time. I wonder if the protesters have thought of this.

Pam in CA
Pam in CA
They stopped some people from heading down last Wednesday. At this point I don't care if they know what they are doing or not. The police should be doing their job but they are not interested. I'm getting annoyed now so will stop and try to sleep.
quote:
Originally posted by Bullwinkle

Interesting video ....from the trib ...video speaks for itself

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/news...-mauna-kea

lucky we live in Hawaii

Yes, very lucky. It's nice to live in a place where men are allowed to express emotion. Even the cops with cameras rolling. No hate up there, just online, people hiding behind their keyboards ... And not here, not implying on this site.
It's too bad the state is handling this. If only Billy could step in he'd have the situation resolved in a day.
Give all the protestors a county job, at the top of each positions pay range, with a pCard.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
the last i heard the visitor center was closed indefinitely, correct?

wondering approximately how many protesters remain up there and what are they using for restroom facilities now that the visitor center is shut down?
quote:
Originally posted by pahoated

The news says there are over 100 protesters being allowed behind the state road block and they are free to hike all the trails and cultural areas. So, they are up on the preliminary access road to the TMT site and generally wandering around all over. Hilarious part is some of those rocks were stacked by kahuna and ali'i to have some meaning unknown to the uneducated maka'ainana. Now, they are taking rocks down from the sides of the access road to pile in the middle. The pretenders compared the rocks they picked being like their grandfather. So, that was part of the Hawaiian way, use your grandparents for shielding? Whole thing makes the real Hawaiians look ridiculous. Tameshiro is in there, so this is the same bunch that used to plant taro "fields" in the park in front of the Kamehmeha statue. What Uncle Billy did was let them finish, then he went in and cleared it out. Now they have a bigger rally point, higher up. Somebody is making a fortune, probably in China, making all those Hawaiian state flags.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"

The tourist dollar is mighty in Hawaii, explaining all sorts of eccentricities. People who go to a place just to have fun also leave an indelible mark, which you can like or dislike but the economic facts won't change.
***Still can't figure out how to spell 'car' correctly***
You never know where this crowd "up there" will come in on an issue. One week they are doing everything they can to ensure the destruction of the Pahoa Transfer Station and the next week the are fighting to preserve a patch of asphalt!