Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HawaiianTel internet service
quote:
Originally posted by kalakoa

Funny thing, turns out Oceanic's franchise agreement with Hawaii County expired a few years ago, and they're running on quarterly "letter of intent to sign franchise agreement".

The franchise agreement is between Oceanic Time Warner Cable and the State of Hawaii, not Hawaii County.

http://cca.hawaii.gov/catv/

"The Cable Television Division regulates franchised wireline cable operators within the State of Hawaii. CATV determines whether the initial issuance, renewal or transfer of a cable franchise is in the public’s best interest."
The franchise agreement is between Oceanic Time Warner Cable and the State of Hawaii, not Hawaii County.

I stand corrected on this technicality, however, the outcome is the same.

The State of Hawaii is going to have review and approve the franchise transfer of Oceanic Time Warner Cable to Charter Communications. That will be another opportunity to change the franchise agreement.

http://cca.hawaii.gov/catv/cable_operato...le-merger/
Thanks for the link, Aaron.

Now I know exactly where to send a rather detailed complaint about why Oceanic should not be able to renew their Hawaii island franchise agreement.

I hope others do the same.
Oceanic should not be able to renew their Hawaii island franchise agreement

Not quite -- merely a modification of terms, specifically:

1. Reduce the 25 subscribers/mile requirement to 10 subscribers/mile.

2. Eliminate the "must have HELCO" requirement.

3. Oceanic required to provide backhaul for Telcom's last-mile.

Yes, #3 would probably require changes to Telcom's franchise agreement, but it's easily the fastest way to get large-scale broadband deployment: most people (with poles on their street) have Telcom, and many of those are within 3 miles of Oceanic -- drop a 50Mbit cable connection into a micro-DSLAM and suddenly it's high-speed for everyone.

Again, assumes that broadband is desirable or relevant in a 21st-century economy.
quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude
Now I know exactly where to send a rather detailed complaint about why Oceanic should not be able to renew their Hawaii island franchise agreement.

I hope others do the same.

leilanidude - would you mind posting the letter you sent and where you sent it? I'm sure others would do the same with a little more assistance. I know I will. Thanks!