Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gasp! bad air tonight from what?
ill try to be discreet. i live in lower Puna at about the 800 ft level about 2 miles from lava tree state park. its a decent neighborhood.

I am having breathing discomfort for the third night.

about 10:30pm, curious odors start wafting through and i start getting wheezy with a sore throat. no, i dont really know/cant tll if its the neighbors smoking pot or not but if so its alot of neighbors smoking alot. i dont remember this last year when it was wetter.

is it vog, pot, organic crud, or what?
Didn't seem very voggy yesterday - the ocean was very easy to see from the highway. On the days where it's really hazy, I know to avoid any yard work.
Leilani Estates, 2011 to Present
If it is an acrid smell that makes your throat close up it could be from someone cooking meth. Had that smell coming from a neighboring rental a few years back, after they were busted for manufacture the smell went away. Nasty stuff in every possible way.
There was also a house in HPP that blew up about a year ago. The renter was cooking "weed oil" or "honey" which involves the use of a petroleum distillate in the process. Explosive. Petroleum vapors probably don't smell very good while they're cooking.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
there was a particularly acrid air mass wafting through the Volcano area yesterday early evening. light breezes commonly move downslope in the evening hours. something to consider when weighing meth lab vs. volcanic emissions as being a possible source.
The June 27:2014 flow is still active, filling in all the vegetation areas up around the crater. There are still remaining forest patches burning. Also, watch the SO2 monitor on the HVO site and the times, the wind dies down to almost zero late in the evening. Historically, these conditions tend to make the heavier SO2 plus burned tree carbon settle down into pockets when the winds die down, all around Leilani being one. We really aren't dealing with just vog, it is vog mixed with ->INCINERATED<- vegetation carbon byproducts. Also, wondering in that area, if people are noticing more steam vents. That would be really interesting if some of those inactive craters around there are becoming more active.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
quote:
[i]i live in lower Puna at about the 800 ft level about 2 miles from lava tree state park. its a decent neighborhood.

I am having breathing discomfort for the third night.

about 10:30pm, curious odors start wafting through and i start getting wheezy with a sore throat.
is it vog, pot, organic crud, or what?

[V]I wish it was only your area, alas- upper Puna was BAD last night as well.
I flew in from Honolulu about 7:40pm, having been in clear, sunny weather all day. The landing/descent to Hilo didnt surprise me for presence of rain, albeit I think it was masking the vog. Within 2 hours of arriving back home in upper Puna, I was suffering my usual bad vog symptoms; headaches, breathing troubles, etc. I did check my resource at http://weather.hawaii.edu/vmap/hysplit/ and saw what Vog was here was "hanging around". Just my 2 cents.
Hope you're better today- I think it's cleared up.