Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TMT Work to Resume Says Ige!
This may be of interest - and use - to several of the folks on PW, as I've seen this alluded to several times over the last several weeks. Just my opinion. Wink

http://www.houstonpress.com/arts/no-it-s...ng-7611752
Leilani Estates, 2011 to Present
Thanks for posting Justin, I enjoyed the article.
Opinions and beliefs are almost impossible to discuss with another person. I always thought it's because we put so little effort into gaining either one - that we're not willing to put any effort into changing them. It's not like the effort required to learn a profession, or a hobby, or other skill. Consideration of additional information to an opinion or belief is just wasted time to most people because we already think this or believe that, and we're done with it. Now, let's go watch some TV.
"I'm at that stage in life where I stay out of discussions. Even if you say 1+1=5, you're right - have fun." - Keanu Reeves
FYI:

As protests delay the construction of the Thirty Meter Telescope on Mauna Kea, Hawaii’s business community is speaking out. Last week we interviewed the president of W.H. Shipman Ltd, Bill Walter, about the implications of the conflict. Shipman is a large landowner in Puna, particularly in the area of Kea’au.

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2015/0...-conflict/

(*He also addresses geothermal, GMO, and business in Hawai'i (Moku o Keawe, not the "State")

I have the utmost respect for Mr. Walter, and despite the occasional misperception of the W.H. Shipman properties/management/politics, etc., this man is committed to our community. No question. He is keiki o ka aina. (*Disclosure: Mr. Walter's ohana has intertwined with ours for generations, thus, not a frivolous statement made.)

It is a process. Mahalo, Mr. Walter.

Imua kakou.

JMO.

ETA: fix link
Tom's Newspeak post, several posts above, cheered me up enough so I could post something here now Smile I haven't been feeling particularly welcome lately.

Opihikao I was very interested in the link you posted above. But I am confused by it, because it seems to go against much of what has been said by the people you have supported here of late. Naturally one can separate people from their posts. And also of course agree with some of what people say and not all.

But you still surprised me! Smile

Anyway, it brings up a lot of interesting points of view. Thank you for sharing it.

Pam in CA
Pam in CA
Thanks for the link, Opihikao. Much wisdom there. It reminds me of an eye-opening experience I had a couple of years ago. A neighbor who was working with honor students at Hilo High had a luncheon for the 32 graduates who had won academic scholarships. She asked them how many expected to be living and working in Hawaii ten years in the future. Exactly one student said she would, and one other said "maybe." The best and brightest of this island see no future here. Like Mr. Walter so wisely points out, cultures which embrace modern technology and change thrive. Those who reject it wither.

It will be a hollow "victory" if Hawaiians block the TMT and further limit chances for economic advancement in this state. If there are no decent jobs, only dependency and decline will be awaiting any Hawaiian sovereign entity that might be created.
As regards 'dependency and decline' as the fate of an independent Hawaii, you should probably add 'invasion'.

Absent status as a state or protectorate of the USA, Hawaii is a sitting duck in a bucket circled by starving wolves. People who know nothing of the sweep of human history do not understand this. When you let those people make policy, you have no future worth contemplating.

---------------------------

You can't fix Samsara.
Chunkster, you reminded me of the young woman with the pro-TMT petition who was in the news before...who hoped to be able to return home from her studies on the mainland and work at the TMT, someday.

Pam in CA
Pam in CA
Justin,

"This may be of interest - and use - to several of the folks on PW, as I've seen this alluded to several times over the last several weeks. Just my opinion. Wink

http://www.houstonpress.com/arts/no-it-s...ng-7611752
"

Thank you so much for that link. It really does apply to much that's posted here, especially when it comes to the TMT. Unfortunately, I suspect there will be little change from "JMO" (just my opinion) to "JMM" (just my misconception). But one can always live in hope.
imagtek, I can't help thinking of the geopolitical at times because it was one of the things I studied in college...and of course I agree with you. If not for the US, Hawai'i would have been taken by Imperial Japan. Now it would probably become a Russian or Chinese acquisition in some way.

Pam in CA
Pam in CA
Imagtek, sovereignty does not necessarily mean independence. My own frank opinion is that in the current US political environment, tribal recognition within the USA is the only remotely possible form of sovereignty with any chance of happening. The Obama administration has taken some tentative steps in that direction. Problem is that when the Interior Department held hearings here on the subject, the kingdom restoration faction made vigorous arguments against it. As I have said before, Hawaiians have yet to come to a united position on what it is they want. Although it goes against some deeply held cultural values, at some point the lunatic fringe is going to have to be taken out of the spotlight in what will likely be a messy public process. Obstructionism feels powerful for a moment, and then reality sets in.