Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sovereignty squatters arrested
You cannot have a society based upon equality if there are 'protected groups' who are more equal and entitled than others

Hawaii is actually an excellent example of this: the Hawaiians and Japanese are substantially more entitled than others, and this creates some interesting societal distortion...
Why is this news reported in Honolulu first? Squatter house in Pahoa emptied, burns down a month later.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/break...=322446211
Fire destroys Puna squatter home

A Big Island abandoned home where police evicted squatters a month ago was destroyed by fire Thursday morning.

Damage to the single-story structure at Azure Drive in Pahoa was estimated at $100,000.

Thirteen firefighters responded to the alarm that was called at 6:16 a.m. The fire was brought under control 17 minutes later.

The Hawaii County Council has formed a task force to find ways to handle squatters living in vacant, bank-owned homes in Puna.

Last week, Hawaii County police arrested eight people for illegally squatting in a Puna home while claiming Hawaiian sovereignty rights.

"Aloha also means goodbye. Aloha!"
*Japanese tourist on bus through Pahoa, "Is this still America?*
I'd just like to say that anyone squatting in someone else's house and is using the sovereignty defense, doesn't understand the sovereignty movement. There is no form of it that would condone that.
It could make good situation comedy... + some might like coming home to their new 83yo mom...
***Still can't figure out how to spell 'car' correctly***
quote:
Originally posted by PunaMauka2

"They've sequenced the Neanderthal DNA, but don't wait for a study to discover the prevalence of Menehune DNA in the native Hawaiian population."

I propose DNA sequencing be employed to create reparations charts which implement a sliding scale to determine each individual's reparation balance (to either be billed or receive a lump sum payment, depending on net hereditary victim or perpetrator status). Complex algorithms may be necessary in many cases, but with a little diligence we can get to the bottom of this tangled genealogical mess and pay each other and ourselves our just deserts.

For example, if an individual were found to be carrying DNA from Asia, Polynesia, and Europe (for the sake of simplicity in this case let's call it Hawaiian - Chinese - English) we might find that the reparations owed by the English DNA to the Hawaiian DNA cancel out any net reparations owed to the individual in question. On the other hand, the Hawaiian DNA may owe reparations into the Menehune reparations fund creating a net loss for the individual. But then if we enter the Chinese DNA into the equation, there could be some reparation coming from the English DNA to the Chinese DNA (Opium Wars). Or, the Hawaiian DNA might owe the Chinese DNA (slaughter of early shipwrecked sailors on Hawaiian shores). If the DNA sequencing were to reveal Neanderthal DNA in the English portion of the individual, this could further complicate determining the net reparation balance of the individual.

Or, alternatively, we could just get over ourselves, get on with our own lives in the actual present, and stop trying to boss other people around according to some self-important claim of hereditary privilege.

Brilliant! Best post I've ever read on this site exposing the absolute absurdity of the Hawaiian sovereignty movement. Thank you.
quote:
Originally posted by HereOnThePrimalEdge

I'm seriously interested and expect an answer from all the native / sovereign apologists

I'm neither of those, but I'll tell you why I don't believe the Menehune will get a mention in any Hawaiian Nation talks. It's extremely inconvenient and uncomfortable, and weakens the Hawaiian case for any kind of reparations if they themselves did what they accuse the US government of doing.

There is very little information about the Menehune. Why? It's inconvenient and uncomfortable to the Hawaiians in power, the Hawaiians at the U of Hawaii, and the Hawaiian Studies Department. If a grad student wanted to do their dissertation on the Menehune, do you think it would be easy for them to find an advisor to work with? If a professor applied for grant money to investigate the Menehune how easily do you think their grant would be approved?

If you asked Mililani Trask a question about the Menehune at a public forum for the Hawaiian nation, would you get a thoughtful, friendly response?

I would guess more work has been conducted on the disappearance of the Neanderthal in Europe 30,000 years ago than has been done on the far more recent disappearance of the Menehune in Hawaii. They've sequenced the Neanderthal DNA, but don't wait for a study to discover the prevalence of Menehune DNA in the native Hawaiian population.

Another brilliant post. This sovereignty issue is such an energy drainer for all of us in Hawaii, the ultimate black hole of all political issues. And the Menehune history is the perfect counter argument as it has much undeniable merit.
quote:
Originally posted by PunaMauka2

"[i]and stop trying to boss other people around according to some self-important claim of hereditary privilege.

And of course, If no match of any DNA and we can't boss anyone around, we'll burn it down...

Need a catch phrase / song.

This version chosen for a little nostalgic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd4KXw_ap8Y

aloha,
pog
This sovereignty issue is such an energy drainer for all of us in Hawaii...

Not BS. Right now a chunk of Hawaii's economy is being redirected to deal with the sovereigntists. Expect a tax increase to pay for it.
The propaganda or whatever it is seems to be working. I notice a change happening. The US and state flags are not displayed as much. Today, statehood day has become a subdued holiday. More non Hawaiians have become sympathetic to the sovereignty movement. Perhaps in a few years something will happen. When will it end?